• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing tastes in hay

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Going back a couple of months my bunnies had timothy from haybox & a half & half bag from timothyhay.co.uk (this contains stalky timothy & the 2018 soft)
Pretty unanimously they rated haybox 1st, then stalky then soft
Ordered 3 more boxes of haybox & they eat it happily enough until I decided Mouse wanted some softer hay. Now they are all over the soft 2018 hay & not interested in the haybox.

Today I had a bag containing some straw mixed in with dried Ash leaves so chucked it in Mouseys tray. Now Mouse is eating straw!! whereas she lobs all the stalky bits of haybox over the edge of her tray.

Is it just changing tastes? Or because their winter diet is different to their summer one?

Fickle beasts

Mine went off the Timothy.co.uk stuff fairly suddenly, I think the later batches didn’t smell so nice to me, not that I’d have eaten either batch :lol: so I’ve not bought any in a while. Then I tried them on the haybox stuff. They liked that and that’s what Fern is on now. I do prefer to have at least a couple of types in to make sure if one falls out of favour, then the other one will be ok. I need to order some sweet green hay actually :thumb: That’s usually nice and soft, and green :lol: I like to have one hay rack with one kind and the other hay rack with a different kind in. I suppose if I had the same thing for tea every day I’d go off it eventually :lol:

Mine only get baled farm hay, but they do change what they want: sometimes (rarely TBH) there's be lots of stalky bits left, sometimes lots of soft bits. Thye pull the soft bits out and sit on them which explains the irregularity of stalky bits being left, but there's still sometimes definite changes towards eating them.

Back