• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loss of wee bunny, soul mate

I am wondering if anyone can help. l have just lost my beloved wee soul mate bunny, Pookie, yesterday. She was a house bunny and was six and a half years old, a mixed Himalayan breed. She was a brave and strong wee soul having been through a lot this year. After a regular dental in March she did not recover well going through a further dental op 2 weeks later removing a lose molar, then developed a large absess in her dewlap which needed two subsequent operations. She took time to recover being on antibiotics after an infection but did so well. Twisting her back somehow in June left her semi paralysed with a long road to recovery but nursing her 24 hours a day she recovered well. She was her usual bright cheeky self only left with a slight limp. I never gave up on her as she always gave her unconditional love and was always there when I needed her. She was so much loved by the family, a very important member of our family. But less than 2 weeks ago she developed an upper respiratory tract infection and was given antibiotics. She seemed fine but on Friday night she collapsed and was rushed to the vet. My beloved wee soul mate was put to sleep Saturday. I was there for her and saw her go to sleep for the last time. I am totally heartbroken and inconsolable. My husband is helping and my teenage boys are hurting too as they loved her so much. I just want to smell her and feel her soft fur. She was a house bunny all her life and ruled the house. I have been in bits since Friday and have been crying since she was put to sleep. I just wanted to know if anyone out there can help. Thank you

I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I completely empathise with the pain you are feeling, I lost my Soul Rabbit on 2nd February 2014. Not a day goes by that I do not miss him, even though I have other Rabbits. He was so extra special. I won’t lie and say that time heals, in my experience it does not. But we do find ways of living with such profound loss. It is eventually possible to think of our Soul Rabbit and smile, smile in gratitude that we were able to share their lives and for all the happy memories they have given us. Some days it is impossible not to cry and to feel completely bereft, but on those days I try to remind myself of how my Soul Rabbit lived his life - he lived in the moment and he was always so upbeat and positive.

I wish that I could make your loss hurt less, but I know I can’t, no-one can. But I hope it helps a little to know that others understand.

RIP Pookie :cry: :love:

I am so very sorry that your first post to the forum was regarding the loss of your soul bun. It may help you in some small way to know that most of us on the forum have been through what you and your family are going through and personally speaking, it is also how I joined the forum 4 years ago. So I for one do know very much how you feel and how your family feel. You and your family have generated that special bond between human and pet - one that makes us pet lovers, not pet owners. And a soul bun is such a deep and special bond and the loss is something which effects you all and will continue to.
Pookie will have known the special life and love that she had with you. The fact she was a house bun will make the loss harder because you will be so used to her manorisms, her presence in many ways, and whilst the physical element of that has gone, Pookies 'spirit' will still be there and always will be.
Gosh this is hard, because it brings back many memories for me and still raw ones, so I do connect very much with what you are feeling.
Draw confort very much from the safe, love filled life you all gave Pookie and that is ultimately what we do as carers and we become their family as they become intertwined with ours.
It is also an extremely brave and courageous way for you to share such a personal event and is something firstly you should be hugely proud of and it is not something everyone can do. It is important that you allow yourself the time and space to grieve - openly or privately. Supressing that emotion only makes healing longer.
It is absolutely fine to cry and show the emotion you are doing. It is important in accepting the situation and your own way of coming to terms with the loss of such a much loved rabbit. We do use an expression here that "when we lose a soul bun, they take a piece of our hearts with them" and that is very true and it is the price we pay for loving them as deeply as we do and as deeply as you loved Pookie.
Grief itself doesn't have a timespan so please try not to think of it as days or weeks to get over it. It takes as long as it takes and for many of us, we simply never get 'over the loss' as such - we just find a way of managing it and remember our sould bunnies every day in ways that are special to us. Sharing the loss does help - reaching out to forums can dna does help and one thing I promise you is that you will get so much love and support back from everyone here - we all relate to what happened and we feel the loss as a community. So you and your family are absolutely not alone.
Pookie will ive in with you and your family - in some ways that is her spirit living on and you may find some tribute or special memorial for her.
For my part, my special rabbits are burried up at a quiet part of our garden - I visit them each day and spend a few moments every day talking, remembering them. It makes me sad and that is just what grief does.
What you must try to avoid is seeking any blame from yourself because that simply isn't right. YOu did all you could for her and somethimes our rabbits just have to go and we have done all we can for them.
I am very sorry for your loss - Binkey free beautiful Pookie. And sending hugs to you and your family. We are all here if you need to share.
Craig xx

Thank you

Thank you for your kind words and advice. I was so hoping to hear from other bunny parents. This is so hard, I haven't got the strength to clean up her stuff and just look at her carrier and cry. I have never been so heartbroken and it is so comforting to know there are others out there who have had similar loss and experiences. I very much appreciate your words and get even a little comfort from them. Thank you

QUOTE=InspectorMorse;7202371]I am so very sorry for your tragic loss. I completely empathise with the pain you are feeling, I lost my Soul Rabbit on 2nd February 2014. Not a day goes by that I do not miss him, even though I have other Rabbits. He was so extra special. I won’t lie and say that time heals, in my experience it does not. But we do find ways of living with such profound loss. It is eventually possible to think of our Soul Rabbit and smile, smile in gratitude that we were able to share their lives and for all the happy memories they have given us. Some days it is impossible not to cry and to feel completely bereft, but on those days I try to remind myself of how my Soul Rabbit lived his life - he lived in the moment and he was always so upbeat and positive.

I wish that I could make your loss hurt less, but I know I can’t, no-one can. But I hope it helps a little to know that others understand.

RIP Pookie :cry: :love:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Craig for your kind words. This is the hardest thing I have had to deal with. As I said to ' inspector morse' it is a little comforting to know other bunny parents out there have had loss and suffering of the passing of their wee buns. I was reading posts during the night as I couldn't sleep for grief and decided to post my first and very sad post of Pookie. I am not sure how to post a photo and will work this out. I know most people who have not had the opportunity of having a bun will state it is only a rabbit...... but they are such beautiful caring loving and giving little creatures and if you gain their trust, your soul mate. Thank you for your kind, kind words I really do appreciate what you have said.

I am so very sorry that your first post to the forum was regarding the loss of your soul bun. It may help you in some small way to know that most of us on the forum have been through what you and your family are going through and personally speaking, it is also how I joined the forum 4 years ago. So I for one do know very much how you feel and how your family feel. You and your family have generated that special bond between human and pet - one that makes us pet lovers, not pet owners. And a soul bun is such a deep and special bond and the loss is something which effects you all and will continue to.
Pookie will have known the special life and love that she had with you. The fact she was a house bun will make the loss harder because you will be so used to her manorisms, her presence in many ways, and whilst the physical element of that has gone, Pookies 'spirit' will still be there and always will be.
Gosh this is hard, because it brings back many memories for me and still raw ones, so I do connect very much with what you are feeling.
Draw confort very much from the safe, love filled life you all gave Pookie and that is ultimately what we do as carers and we become their family as they become intertwined with ours.
It is also an extremely brave and courageous way for you to share such a personal event and is something firstly you should be hugely proud of and it is not something everyone can do. It is important that you allow yourself the time and space to grieve - openly or privately. Supressing that emotion only makes healing longer.
It is absolutely fine to cry and show the emotion you are doing. It is important in accepting the situation and your own way of coming to terms with the loss of such a much loved rabbit. We do use an expression here that "when we lose a soul bun, they take a piece of our hearts with them" and that is very true and it is the price we pay for loving them as deeply as we do and as deeply as you loved Pookie.
Grief itself doesn't have a timespan so please try not to think of it as days or weeks to get over it. It takes as long as it takes and for many of us, we simply never get 'over the loss' as such - we just find a way of managing it and remember our sould bunnies every day in ways that are special to us. Sharing the loss does help - reaching out to forums can dna does help and one thing I promise you is that you will get so much love and support back from everyone here - we all relate to what happened and we feel the loss as a community. So you and your family are absolutely not alone.
Pookie will ive in with you and your family - in some ways that is her spirit living on and you may find some tribute or special memorial for her.
For my part, my special rabbits are burried up at a quiet part of our garden - I visit them each day and spend a few moments every day talking, remembering them. It makes me sad and that is just what grief does.
What you must try to avoid is seeking any blame from yourself because that simply isn't right. YOu did all you could for her and somethimes our rabbits just have to go and we have done all we can for them.
I am very sorry for your loss - Binkey free beautiful Pookie. And sending hugs to you and your family. We are all here if you need to share.
Craig xx

Zoobec, I am so so very sorry for your loss this week, I hope Frosty, like Pookie has climbed over the rainbow bridge and running free and happy, as that thought is the only thing keeping me going through my tears. Sending you hugs also xx

QUOTE=Zoobec;7202389]I’m so sorry :cry: I can empathise with you, I still miss my soul bunny, our first house bunny, Boots, and we have just lost our much loved second house rabbit, Frosty this week :cry: They are such a big part of the family, they leave behind a big void :cry:

I find time makes things feel less raw. Sending hugs to you xx

Here is a tutorial on how to post photos http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?475766-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos[/QUOTE]

Zoobec, I am so so very sorry for your loss this week, I hope Frosty, like Pookie has climbed over the rainbow bridge and running free and happy, as that thought is the only thing keeping me going through my tears. Sending you hugs also xx

QUOTE=Zoobec;7202389]I’m so sorry :cry: I can empathise with you, I still miss my soul bunny, our first house bunny, Boots, and we have just lost our much loved second house rabbit, Frosty this week :cry: They are such a big part of the family, they leave behind a big void :cry:

I find time makes things feel less raw. Sending hugs to you xx

Here is a tutorial on how to post photos http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?475766-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos
[/QUOTE]

Thankyou :love: I’m sure they will be binkying together at the bridge :love: xx

I am so sorry you lost Pookie. You did awesome giving her care which further cemented your bond with her and vice versa.
Having lost a special bunny in July, I know how you feel.
Sending you and your family my condolances .

I'm so very sorry that you have lost your beloved bunny Pookie, she sounded a lovely character, and a real member of your family. I'm pleased that you were able to be with her at the end, she would have known that you were there, and that would have have given her comfort knowing your love and presence. Binky free Pookie xx

I’m going through the same atm, I understand your grief and truly hope you can enjoy the good memories you made with your bun,
I’m sure they know how much you loved them ❤️

Thank you. It is soothing reading all these posts, it doesn't take away the heartache and this is what I am struggling with but reading so many posts where wee buns have been lost helps me not feel alone if that makes sense. Thank you.

QUOTE=bunny momma;7202436]I am so sorry you lost Pookie. You did awesome giving her care which further cemented your bond with her and vice versa.
Having lost a special bunny in July, I know how you feel.
Sending you and your family my condolances .[/QUOTE]

Thank you. She was a great wee thing so full of life and so unexpected when she had to go. I have read about the rainbow bridge and I hope all of our wee bunnies are there happy and full of life x

QUOTE=Pets mum;7202439]I'm so very sorry that you have lost your beloved bunny Pookie, she sounded a lovely character, and a real member of your family. I'm pleased that you were able to be with her at the end, she would have known that you were there, and that would have have given her comfort knowing your love and presence. Binky free Pookie xx[/QUOTE]

Thank you and my heart goes out to you and anyone else going through this xxxx a huge gap where you cannot fill but yes many good memories just overwhelmed at the moment and so glad I found this forum as it is helping and also reading other bunny parents stories and heartfelt losses.

QUOTE=Nigel84;7202492]I’m going through the same atm, I understand your grief and truly hope you can enjoy the good memories you made with your bun,
I’m sure they know how much you loved them ❤️[/QUOTE]

Thank you so so much to everyone who has replied, this is the hardest thing I have encountered with the loss of Pookie. We still expect her to come flying out from somewhere and the hardest part is seeing her wee bits and bobs everywhere. This forum has given me strength and I am so grateful for all the replies and hope rainbow bridge is where all our wee bunnies have gone to binky free, run free and be the bunnies they should be. xxxxxx

QUOTE=maureen.gordon@ymail.com;7202362]I am wondering if anyone can help. l have just lost my beloved wee soul mate bunny, Pookie, yesterday. She was a house bunny and was six and a half years old, a mixed Himalayan breed. She was a brave and strong wee soul having been through a lot this year. After a regular dental in March she did not recover well going through a further dental op 2 weeks later removing a lose molar, then developed a large absess in her dewlap which needed two subsequent operations. She took time to recover being on antibiotics after an infection but did so well. Twisting her back somehow in June left her semi paralysed with a long road to recovery but nursing her 24 hours a day she recovered well. She was her usual bright cheeky self only left with a slight limp. I never gave up on her as she always gave her unconditional love and was always there when I needed her. She was so much loved by the family, a very important member of our family. But less than 2 weeks ago she developed an upper respiratory tract infection and was given antibiotics. She seemed fine but on Friday night she collapsed and was rushed to the vet. My beloved wee soul mate was put to sleep Saturday. I was there for her and saw her go to sleep for the last time. I am totally heartbroken and inconsolable. My husband is helping and my teenage boys are hurting too as they loved her so much. I just want to smell her and feel her soft fur. She was a house bunny all her life and ruled the house. I have been in bits since Friday and have been crying since she was put to sleep. I just wanted to know if anyone out there can help. Thank you[/QUOTE]

I am wondering if anyone can help. l have just lost my beloved wee soul mate bunny, Pookie, yesterday. She was a house bunny and was six and a half years old, a mixed Himalayan breed. She was a brave and strong wee soul having been through a lot this year. After a regular dental in March she did not recover well going through a further dental op 2 weeks later removing a lose molar, then developed a large absess in her dewlap which needed two subsequent operations. She took time to recover being on antibiotics after an infection but did so well. Twisting her back somehow in June left her semi paralysed with a long road to recovery but nursing her 24 hours a day she recovered well. She was her usual bright cheeky self only left with a slight limp. I never gave up on her as she always gave her unconditional love and was always there when I needed her. She was so much loved by the family, a very important member of our family. But less than 2 weeks ago she developed an upper respiratory tract infection and was given antibiotics. She seemed fine but on Friday night she collapsed and was rushed to the vet. My beloved wee soul mate was put to sleep Saturday. I was there for her and saw her go to sleep for the last time. I am totally heartbroken and inconsolable. My husband is helping and my teenage boys are hurting too as they loved her so much. I just want to smell her and feel her soft fur. She was a house bunny all her life and ruled the house. I have been in bits since Friday and have been crying since she was put to sleep. I just wanted to know if anyone out there can help. Thank you

http://imgur.com/gallery/BFfeqMp

Back