• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus unwell again :(

Graciee

Staff member
Belly pressing, in pain, won't eat... The usual story :( Idk why he's having so many episodes of this recently :( it's always at the weekend too :/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh no, as if you need more stress :cry: Have you got all the meds you need ? IME of late Cisapride is a much more effective prokinetic than is metoclop’.

I really hope that he will pull through this latest episode.

Oh no, as if you need more stress :cry: Have you got all the meds you need ? IME of late Cisapride is a much more effective prokinetic than is metoclop’.

I use them both even though my vet believes Cisapride is more effective too.

Graciee, I am sorry Atticus is becoming ill more often. It can be so stressful to have a bunny with a chronic issue, and it does seem to be worse when it it is the weekend. Sending you all some positive vibes.

Oh, no, I'm so sorry he's feeling unwell again, and that it's been happening so often lately. =( Lots and lots of vibes for him.

We've got some loxicom, emeprid and lactulose. Never seem to be able to get hold of cisapride regularly anymore, I agree though I've found it works better in the past.

So Atticus is passing wet mushy poop, but is really uncomfortable, I only gave him pain meds last night because he was passing stuff, but I'm not sure what to do now, he isn't eating at all :( would you give gut meds? It's different to normal because normally there's no output.

I'm annoyed tbh, he's been staying at my mums, and we go back every evening to see to him and do the hay and everything, and I asked my mum if she'd give everyone a treat a couple times a day and make sure their water was all okay, she's said she's been doing that, turns out she didn't, and was lying to me :/ so last time we know he ate was Friday morning, and all the times yesterday she said he was okay, he wasn't. Makes me sick tbh, today was the day I was meant to be moving them all over as well :( we didn't do it before because I wanted everything to be set up for them so it was a stress free as possible :( anyway we moved him over last night so he's here now, hopefully I can get the others tomorrow, I'm staying here with him today though :( if she didn't want to check them for me I wish she'd have said :( I feel so awful I left them in that place now :(

Thanks everyone for the support, I really appreciate it xx

If he has output then I would give him the meds as prescribed by your Vet. I’d give him a syringe feed before giving metoclop’ as on an empty stomach giving metoclop’ can cause gripy tummy pains. If you gently massage his belly from front to back end you may feel lots of bubbles of gas popping. Dispersing any gas should alleviate some of the pain.

If he has output then I would give him the meds as prescribed by your Vet. I’d give him a syringe feed before giving metoclop’ as on an empty stomach giving metoclop’ can cause gripy tummy pains. If you gently massage his belly from front to back end you may feel lots of bubbles of gas popping. Dispersing any gas should alleviate some of the pain.
Yea the meds are normally for no output though [emoji38] that's what's making me hesitate. I mean normally it's lactulose which seems to get us through these episodes tbh, but there's output that looks like when he's had the lactulose and it's starting to work... So I'm not sure whether to give him that [emoji51] this always happens when William isn't around [emoji21] he's so uncomfortable though :(

His stomach is nice and squishy, I'll have a go, see if I can gently feel anything. I gave him the top end of loxicom dose at 5am when he got back, William let's me decide based on how he is, there's a range. I don't have any tramadol left though, we normally use both together. I can call up the vets and they'll give me more, but they won't be able to advise what to give him tbh. I do have cc here, so I could definitely try that if I give emeprid.

Oh no not again :cry: sending hugs for you all, what a stressful time. I hope he makes a recovery soon. Bless him xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no sending vibes for him.

They always pick their timing bless them. Rodney is especially good at a week before we go on holiday and then recovers just before we leave. Every year we've had him so far...

I know you're having a lot going on at the moment could he be picking up on your stress maybe? Or something at your Mum's that's upset him? Hopefully now you have him with you things might settle down.

We've not had cisapride before this time and its definitely seeming effective paired with the metaclop. In tablet form though which in my experience means it's in short supply.

Echo the small syringe feed with the meds though to help ease it through. Bit like us taking some antibiotics on an empty tummy it just makes everything feel yucky and more painful.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm glad he's with you now, and your other buns soon. Sending loads of vibes for your boy xxx

Thanks everyone, been hanging out with him all day, really missed him tbh, we've had some cuddles and he's groomed me a little, started eating some hay and veg we got him this afternoon, I'm hoping he'll start improving. I really don't know what's setting him off so much, it's like the last 2 months he just keeps getting sick, whereas it was much more spread out before and often triggered by his autumn moult.. So idek anymore. He's here now, right next to my desk so he'll see lots of me, seems to be making himself at home, already flopped against my chair so I couldn't move it [emoji38] Idk what to do with him honestly. It's so frustrating not knowing what triggers it for him.

Aww I hope he continues to improve. Sounds like he's loving his time with you.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back