Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 10 year old Dutch constant mucky bum

  1. #1
    Warren Scout carolineclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    213

    Default 10 year old Dutch constant mucky bum

    My house rabbit has had a dirty bum at least 4-5 times a week for the past few months. Some times she does a good job of cleaning up and others it just gets caked onto the soles of her back feet, her tail and the soft bit of skin on her tummy just in front of her genitals. She basically just poos where she is sitting sometimes but then eats it off the towel or carpet she is sitting on at the time but doesn't manage to clean herself properly.

    My first instinct was that as she is turning 10 next month, and I can see her finding cleaning a bit more difficult that that was the issue.

    We have removed treats and too many greens from her diet though she still gets some grass or herbs daily alongside her hay, I've reduced her mix to about 16g of pellets a day to encourage her to eat more hay. She is eating and drinking and pooing normal healthy looking poos though on top of this so I don't think there is a major gut or eating issue.

    I see her eating cecotropes normally most days but wonder if this could be excess cecotropes perhaps and if so why??

    I have had to resort to a bath for her hind quarters several times as a wet cloth just wont do the job, especially as its just me trying to clean her single handed. I know a bath isn't good for her though so avoid where possible

    We've had many gastric issues over the years but currently her diet is otherwise working well for her so I'm loathed to change too much

    If you have experience with older rabbits, is this common? Any helpful tips or suggestions?

    Thank you

  2. #2

    Default

    Have you consulted a Vet ?


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Healthy Herby - Great Hay from an Online Company supporting Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescues

    https://healthyherby.co.uk/

  3. #3
    Warren Scout carolineclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Yes she's been twice for this particular reason, they suggested just a hay and water diet for a while which we did but still the same issue

    She is well hydrated and eating and everything else totally normal.

    Do you think its worth a second vet opinion?

  4. #4
    Warren Scout HouseOfRabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    429

    Default

    Do you feed the pellets all in one go at all? Been having the same sort of issue with my 11 year old, Harley, and found switching to feeding half in the morning and half in the evening has made a difference.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolineclair View Post
    Yes she's been twice for this particular reason, they suggested just a hay and water diet for a while which we did but still the same issue

    She is well hydrated and eating and everything else totally normal.

    Do you think its worth a second vet opinion?
    Yes as you have obviously addressed all possible dietary causes. So the Vet needs to consider other possibilities such as arthritis or dental problems.


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Healthy Herby - Great Hay from an Online Company supporting Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescues

    https://healthyherby.co.uk/

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    18,892

    Default

    Which Pellets are you feeding her?

  7. #7
    Warren Scout carolineclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Yes as you have obviously addressed all possible dietary causes. So the Vet needs to consider other possibilities such as arthritis or dental problems.
    She's had her teeth looked at but arthritis hasn't been mentioned before. I ve just watched her eating cecotropes and she does seem to struggle moreso with her balance these days so yes that could be a possibility. What can they do for rabbits with arthritis?

    Will get her an appointment. I do think whatever it is is certainly linked to her age

    Thankyou for your reply

  8. #8
    Warren Scout carolineclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Which Pellets are you feeding her?
    Thanks for replying, She has pets at home junior pellets - she REFUSES to eat point blank the adult ones. Has always had the same nuggets weve not changed anything there. She has half in the morning and half at night. Should add she does do plenty of normal healthy poos on top of the messy moments, my lounge ins littered with them as the other thing is this past 8 months or so, shes just not bothered by the litter tray 60% of the time, where as she used to never go anywhere else. Another reason i feel like its an old age issue, too tired to move, or just forgetting. But I'm certainly no expert i just know Maple.

  9. #9
    Warren Scout carolineclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North West London
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolineclair View Post
    She's had her teeth looked at but arthritis hasn't been mentioned before. I ve just watched her eating cecotropes and she does seem to struggle moreso with her balance these days so yes that could be a possibility. What can they do for rabbits with arthritis?

    Will get her an appointment. I do think whatever it is is certainly linked to her age

    Thankyou for your reply

    Ive just done reading up and i think you've hit the nail on the head where the vet and ourselves has missed! Thank you, might give her some metacam while i look into other options

    xx

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolineclair View Post
    Thanks for replying, She has pets at home junior pellets - she REFUSES to eat point blank the adult ones. Has always had the same nuggets weve not changed anything there. She has half in the morning and half at night. Should add she does do plenty of normal healthy poos on top of the messy moments, my lounge ins littered with them as the other thing is this past 8 months or so, shes just not bothered by the litter tray 60% of the time, where as she used to never go anywhere else. Another reason i feel like its an old age issue, too tired to move, or just forgetting. But I'm certainly no expert i just know Maple.
    Junior pellets have a higher protein content. This could account for excess cecotroph production

    Arthritis in Rabbits

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...bit-arthritis/

    http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html

    http://www.helpinghandsvetphysio.co.uk/rabbits/

    https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co....y-acupuncture/

    https://www.thorlaser.com/pet/?utm_s...BoCeAoQAvD_BwE


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Healthy Herby - Great Hay from an Online Company supporting Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescues

    https://healthyherby.co.uk/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •