• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fern u/d new photos p38.

Zoobec

Staff member
Fern is absolutely fine and doesn’t seem bothered in the slightest about losing Frosty. She is eating and drinking ok, and bouncing about as usual. In fact if anything she seems happier!

I’ve talked to my daughter and OH and we are going to see how Fern goes on her own in the first instance, because for various reasons I don’t want to carry on the rabbit cycle if I’m honest. if she’s unhappy then obviously we will act in her best interests, but I also don’t want to add to the animals being handed in to rescues.

I’ve contacted Angie at BARC to see if she is ok for me to carry on with her alone, I’ve told her I’m not wanting to continue with rabbits in the long term but that Fern is the most important part of all of this and needs to be happy. She is ok for her to stay here as she is and be monitored closely to check she remains happy.

I’ve deployed the treat ball with pellets, and she loves it :love: I’ve ordered more goodies from Amazon, chill and chew mats, willow balls and a willow tunnel.

Last edited:
Really pleased that she's doing ok Zoobec, and is happy. When we lost Treacles brother, Toffee, over 5 years ago, I was in the same position not wanting to take on another bun. So Treacle has been a single bun for most of her life, but she is a house bunny so never on her own for long, and always appears a happy bunny. I hope Fern continues as she is xxx

Oh that is lovely that Fern is not unhappy. I hope she enjoys her new treats.

Thankyou :love I’m sure she will :love:

Really pleased that she's doing ok Zoobec, and is happy. When we lost Treacles brother, Toffee, over 5 years ago, I was in the same position not wanting to take on another bun. So Treacle has been a single bun for most of her life, but she is a house bunny so never on her own for long, and always appears a happy bunny. I hope Fern continues as she is xxx

Thankyou :love: Fern is a house bunny too, so has lots of company, space and things to do :thumb:

Could you offer to longterm Foster another Rabbit ? One that may be hard to rehome for some reason. Then Fern would not be on her own.

Could you offer to longterm Foster another Rabbit ? One that may be hard to rehome for some reason. Then Fern would not be on her own.

Unfortunately not. I’ve thought about it. I’m afraid I can’t cope with the stress when they are ill and when I lose them. Which is the reason why I’ve decided I can’t continue with my rabbit cycle. So whilst Fern is ok, and actually seems happier, I am not :cry: if Fern becomes unhappy or depressed in any way then I am going to have to talk with Angie about rehoming her with someone who can give her another rabbit as company. Although that would be devastating for me I would do it if it was in Fern’s best interest.

I know what you mean we seriously considered this when we lost Primrose.

We decided against it partly because Rodney is so young but also because he dropped into a bit of a funk.

I think if he had been older and he wasnt struggling we may have made the same choice.

My sister in law did this after loosing two girls, her boy was 9 at the time and she felt he wouldnt cope well with a youngster.

He was moved indoors and was very happy for his last two years. He lived with my parents in law and absolutely loved it as they were home all the time and he got lots of loves.

I used to go play with him too so he had lots of company and enrichment.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Lopsy seemed somewhat happier without Aboleth :lol: But he seems even happier with Chibbs?! He's a silly boy. I can't leave mine on their own because they're outside, it's just not fair on them, but I'm also a bit of a tough cookie when it comes to illness and death :thumb: Indoor bunnies get so much more interaction as well. And as long as Fern's doing alright, that's the only important thing :)

I know what you mean we seriously considered this when we lost Primrose.

We decided against it partly because Rodney is so young but also because he dropped into a bit of a funk.

I think if he had been older and he wasnt struggling we may have made the same choice.

My sister in law did this after loosing two girls, her boy was 9 at the time and she felt he wouldnt cope well with a youngster.

He was moved indoors and was very happy for his last two years. He lived with my parents in law and absolutely loved it as they were home all the time and he got lots of loves.

I used to go play with him too so he had lots of company and enrichment.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

It’s hard but I’ll just have to see how she gets on.

Lopsy seemed somewhat happier without Aboleth :lol: But he seems even happier with Chibbs?! He's a silly boy. I can't leave mine on their own because they're outside, it's just not fair on them, but I'm also a bit of a tough cookie when it comes to illness and death :thumb: Indoor bunnies get so much more interaction as well. And as long as Fern's doing alright, that's the only important thing :)

Yes, as you say, at least she is inside. I wouldn’t keep her alone if she was outside. I used to be able to cope fine with illness and deaths but over the years, I’ve had a lot of pets and even though the majority of them live to old age without any issues, losing them is hard.

It’s so hard isn’t it :(
As much as I love our rabbits, we’ve decided that when they all go, which hopefully won’t be for a long time yet, that we won’t get any more rabbits for a long time. They’re so fragile and it’s so hard when they die :cry:
Lots of hugs to you Zoobec and glad Fern is doing ok.

For what it’s worth we had a single house rabbit for a long time and he was probably the happiest rabbit we ever owned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly think the fact that she was with Frosty at his passing is whats helped her cope so well. She knows what's happened so isn't worrying about where he is etc.

I know you'll keep her best interest at heart and I'm sure she'll adore all the toys.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It’s so hard isn’t it :(
As much as I love our rabbits, we’ve decided that when they all go, which hopefully won’t be for a long time yet, that we won’t get any more rabbits for a long time. They’re so fragile and it’s so hard when they die :cry:
Lots of hugs to you Zoobec and glad Fern is doing ok.

For what it’s worth we had a single house rabbit for a long time and he was probably the happiest rabbit we ever owned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankyou :love

Yes, Boots was a single house bun and Frosty was single for the first couple of years we had him. I know it’s not ideal, but Boots was always happy, and Frosty was until he was poorly after his last dental, and that was when we got Fern, as he was depressed and only eating when I was there with him.

I honestly think the fact that she was with Frosty at his passing is whats helped her cope so well. She knows what's happened so isn't worrying about where he is etc.

I know you'll keep her best interest at heart and I'm sure she'll adore all the toys.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yes, she seemed to understand and she’s been fine and full of beans since.

She still likes the treat ball, I’ve given her the chill and chew mat, a willow ball and a bundle of willow sticks. She was very excited and couldn’t decide which to look at first! She’s had a good investigate of everything, played with the treat ball for a bit, had a good wash and she’s now eating hay :love:

Anastasia perked right up after her sister died, although she never saw her body as we couldn't take three large rabbits to the emergency visits.

As her sister didn't return she completely changed to an outgoing bunny. She didn't miss her sister at all.

Anyway Fern sounds fine and she is indoors so gets plenty of human company. X

Anastasia perked right up after her sister died, although she never saw her body as we couldn't take three large rabbits to the emergency visits.

As her sister didn't return she completely changed to an outgoing bunny. She didn't miss her sister at all.

Anyway Fern sounds fine and she is indoors so gets plenty of human company. X

It’s funny how some animals are affected by others. Thinking about it they never seemed to sit together apart from during early bonding. They always sat in or on a tower each. Fern seems to be enjoying having the place to herself at the moment!

Glad that Fern is ok and not seeming to miss Frosty.

I recently had to split the quad cos my Frosty was bullying his brother, Snowflake. It also meant parting the two sisters so the boys each had a companion. All of them are fine and Snowflake is back to his old self again.

Glad that Fern is ok and not seeming to miss Frosty.

I recently had to split the quad cos my Frosty was bullying his brother, Snowflake. It also meant parting the two sisters so the boys each had a companion. All of them are fine and Snowflake is back to his old self again.

Thankyou :love: she’s still doing fine. I’m sorry you had to split the quad but it sounds like they are happy now :love:

Glad that Fern is coping ok. My Bertie is a single house rabbit. I do feel a bit guilty but he has a lot of interaction with me. In fact he graciously allows me to sleep in 'his' room.

Really pleased that Fern is still doing well, bless her. Treacle has been a single bun since we had to let her brother go over 5 years ago. She has really blossomed since then, she has her own room adjoining the lounge, but spends most of her time in the lounge on "her" rug under the coffee table, watching telly :lol:

Fern is still doing well, she’s enjoying the chill and chew mat and loves sitting on it. She’s got the bedding on the doll bed which she likes to sit on too, I had ditched the bedding before she came because Frosty was a persistent bed wetter! Frosty would have eaten the chill and chew mat in a couple of days but she likes to sit on it :love:

I call her Princess Fern of the high towers, because she is very demanding and nudges me to hurry up at feeding time. (She’s always done that ) but now she has the treat ball she pushes it to me as if to say, “fill it up again” :lol:

Fern is still doing well, she’s enjoying the chill and chew mat and loves sitting on it. She’s got the bedding on the doll bed which she likes to sit on too, I had ditched the bedding before she came because Frosty was a persistent bed wetter! Frosty would have eaten the chill and chew mat in a couple of days but she likes to sit on it :love:

I call her Princess Fern of the high towers, because she is very demanding and nudges me to hurry up at feeding time. (She’s always done that ) but now she has the treat ball she pushes it to me as if to say, “fill it up again” :lol:

Bless her, she sounds a lovely character :love:

Back