• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ani in hospital

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I'm so worried, after losing my two angels within 3 weeks of each other in October, I'm so worried I'm going to lose ani.
Ani and Gary were both neutered today, they came home today at 1 30pm, Gary was fine, ani not so good but pooping, anyway as the day has went on Gary just got better, ani just got worse , ive posted on other threads about how she has a disability of some kind but we aren't sure what it is. Anyway, I rang the vets numerous times for reassurance and support as she's just not eating, I was syringeing her but about an hour ago she started teeth grinding horrifically and this was the final straw for me. I don't know if I'm just scared after losing my last 2 to stasis or whether Ive done the right thing, but I put her in the carrier and now shes staying at the vet hospital. She will hate this and it will possibly make Her worse but Im so worried about her.
What do you think is wrong with her? She's extremely timid, fragile and scared anyway. Have I done the wrong thing..
She did have pain killers. I'm just so worried.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I think you have done the best thing you could for her. Hopefully they will be able to make her feel more comfortable and she will be able to come home tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Sending lots of vibes for Ani, I think you did the right thing taking her to the hospital, she will get the help she needs xxx

It's so understandable that you're worried about losing ani when you've already had so much loss in October... And what you describe would be worrying in any case, and of course you don't want to lose ani as well... I think you've done the right thing, too. They'll be able to care for her and give her what she needs to feel better, and hopefulle she'll be back home again with you soon. I'm sending her lots and lots of vibes.

I'm really sorry Ani has been admitted to hospital. Given that a spay is a much bigger operation than a neuter, I'm not surprised she's taking longer than Gary to recover. Having said that, you did the right thing in taking her back to the vet as the tooth grinding is showing that her pain wasn't under control.

I can understand your feeling worried for Ani as she's such a timid bun. However I'm inclined to think the vet is likely to give her a stronger painkiller, such as vetergesic. It's an opioid and can make bunnies very dozy. This means that Ani will probably be too zonked to know where she is, which is probably better for her.

It's tough nursing a bunny through a spay. I've only had to do it once and it's not an experience I'd like to repeat as it's so stressful. Now that Ani's in hospital she'll have round the clock care to help get her through the difficult first 24 hours post op.

I think you have done the best thing you could for her. Hopefully they will be able to make her feel more comfortable and she will be able to come home tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx
I have a strong suspicion they didn't give her pain killers, I don't know why, but they rang and said she had perked up alot after a pain killer shot. I'm pleased but it's concerning. Anyway I'm hoping I will get her home in the morning. Thank you. I'm just Paranoid about stasis after losing my other 2.

I'm really sorry Ani has been admitted to hospital. Given that a spay is a much bigger operation than a neuter, I'm not surprised she's taking longer than Gary to recover. Having said that, you did the right thing in taking her back to the vet as the tooth grinding is showing that her pain wasn't under control.

I can understand your feeling worried for Ani as she's such a timid bun. However I'm inclined to think the vet is likely to give her a stronger painkiller, such as vetergesic. It's an opioid and can make bunnies very dozy. This means that Ani will probably be too zonked to know where she is, which is probably better for her.

It's tough nursing a bunny through a spay. I've only had to do it once and it's not an experience I'd like to repeat as it's so stressful. Now that Ani's in hospital she'll have round the clock care to help get her through the difficult first 24 hours post op.
Oh they just rang to say that gave Her a stronger painkiller and she has eaten so thats good.. Thank you. I worry about stasis more than anything. Xxx

Sending vibes for Ani.

Our Blossom is also in hospital tonight with statis only a few months after loosing Primrose to it. That dread is an awful feeling.

Fingers crossed for our girls and they're in the best place to get the best care overnight.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sending vibes for Ani.

Our Blossom is also in hospital tonight with statis only a few months after loosing Primrose to it. That dread is an awful feeling.

Fingers crossed for our girls and they're in the best place to get the best care overnight.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Awwww i hope they both feel better tomorrow. It's the worst feeling. Its happening so often at the moment, at least we know they are safe and in the best hands. Xxx [emoji173]

Last edited:
I really hope that Ani is a lot better this morning. A spay is a much more invasive op’ than a castration and as she is such a nervous Bunny it will have been an especially difficult experience for her. I expect the Vet did give a NSAID post op’ but it probably wasn’t enough to give good pain control. So I expect they gave her a top up of an opiate analgesic. This would not only give better pain control but would calm her down too. I think once she gets through the first 48/hours post op’ she will be fine. Sending lots of vibes for her :love:

Sending lots of vibes for Ani. Spays require good pain control My last bunny spay was my Heidi and she needed extra pain relief too.
Sending vibes.

I really hope that Ani is a lot better this morning. A spay is a much more invasive op’ than a castration and as she is such a nervous Bunny it will have been an especially difficult experience for her. I expect the Vet did give a NSAID post op’ but it probably wasn’t enough to give good pain control. So I expect they gave her a top up of an opiate analgesic. This would not only give better pain control but would calm her down too. I think once she gets through the first 48/hours post op’ she will be fine. Sending lots of vibes for her :love:
Ani is home. She is eating now and much happier to Be back next to her brother.
Thank you for your support. Hopefully I won't see any more vet hospitals for a long time now
Xxx

Ani is home. She is eating now and much happier to Be back next to her brother.
Thank you for your support. Hopefully I won't see any more vet hospitals for a long time now
Xxx

So glad that she is home and I hope that she will now make a rapid recovery x

My suspicions are right I think she most probably is blind, after having Her indoors it's alot more apparent. She sits facing the wrong way , I know bunnies can sit any way but it's definetly because she can't see much. I approach Her and she is blank until she smells my hand, my daughter approaches Her and she smells her hand and runs away. Is there anyway I can find out for definite and anything I need to do for her. I did mention it to the vets and they said it's nothing physical, they checked over everything , they said as long as she was was happy and well, it was nothing to worry about, so making her happy isu top priority, getting her back with her brother would be a really big start X

Back