• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet food recommendations

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Hello,

After some recommendations of pellets for my monsters.

They currently have Beaphar Nature Rabbit, which they love. However its getting harder to find and The Hay Experts say its now discontinued. Ahhhhhhh.

They used to have Burgess Junior, but Pip had really bad gas problems and gurgling loud tummies. So we swapped to the Beaphar one as it had less "extras" added like yeast and sugar. She has been fine since, so I'm very wary of changing, but looks like I dont have much choice.

Does anyone have any recommendations? They only get 15g each a day.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Hello,

After some recommendations of pellets for my monsters.

They currently have Beaphar Nature Rabbit, which they love. However its getting harder to find and The Hay Experts say its now discontinued. Ahhhhhhh.

They used to have Burgess Junior, but Pip had really bad gas problems and gurgling loud tummies. So we swapped to the Beaphar one as it had less "extras" added like yeast and sugar. She has been fine since, so I'm very wary of changing, but looks like I dont have much choice.

Does anyone have any recommendations? They only get 15g each a day.

I have always used Science Selective, just the normal adult ones, for my bunnies. I've never had any problems with them with any of the bunnies.

I sometimes go on Rabbit UK and most on there recommend Science Selective over and above Burgess. There is also Oxbow which is supposed to be good as well. I use PAH Nuggets but am considering going over to SS.

I've gone off excel - I'm sure they were affecting Mouses tum (though never used to). I bought a large sack during summer & kept finding weird bits. contacted customer service who asked me to send the "foreign kibble" for analysis. Turns out both the weird pellets were dog food that allegedly didn't contain meat. Mmmm.

Mouse is now on science selective & i'll switch J&B over when they are nearing the end of theirs. talking about Mouses weight with vet at last minute & she recommended SS as more fibre. I imagine they might be a bit big for nethie mouths. If you want a sample sticking in an envelope let me know. I do trust Oxbow as a brand but not tried their nuggets

Yeah I wouldn't want to go back to burgess excel. I know a lot of people rate science selective. Have any of you tried the new grainfree one? I've been looking at this site which compares rabbit food.

I'm not keen on the fact they have soya beans in and yeast. I liked the fact the current one they get is basically compressed hay.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

I liked the idea of the rosewood meadow menu, but it isn't rated well on the list above.

Yeah I wouldn't want to go back to burgess excel. I know a lot of people rate science selective. Have any of you tried the new grainfree one? I've been looking at this site which compares rabbit food.

I'm not keen on the fact they have soya beans in and yeast. I liked the fact the current one they get is basically compressed hay.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

I liked the idea of the rosewood meadow menu, but it isn't rated well on the list above.

We've used the grainfree SS ones with no issues, although my buns are fine with excel so might not mean anything really. They all liked them tho [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We're on Excel because it's easier for me to get, and we go through 1 bag every 2yrs or so, and it was closer to what Lopsy started on. Science Selective is preferred by most of the rescues around here :)

Thanks all. I think I'll wait until Pip is over her surgery. Dont want her dealing with that and a gassy tummy! But i have time to research a bit more and then phase it in, as I have a large bag on their current pellets.

I have always fed my rabbits Excel nuggets, and when I asked my vet if they had any recommendations they said in their opinion Excel was a very good brand with a good protein:fibre:everything ratios.

But I am reading other people's replies now and lots of people don't rate Excel. Will investigate...

Also something I didn't think of, we should be feeding Pellets which are extruded. I will leave that with you!

I use a mix of Science Selective and P@H or VetUK pellets, but it doesn't form a significant part of their diet - it's more useful as a bribe and to check that they are Ok. Uneaten pellets rings alarm bells. They don't get any other processed 'treats'.

Most of the rescues I've had were on SS.

Extruded? What's that mean?

"Extrusion is a process in which ingredients are cooked under pressure with high-temperature steam for a short period of time. Feed is then pushed through a die, which gives it a unique and uniform shape" - taken from Google! :)

"Extrusion is a process in which ingredients are cooked under pressure with high-temperature steam for a short period of time. Feed is then pushed through a die, which gives it a unique and uniform shape" - taken from Google! :)
Ooh thankyou. Only just saw this.

Thought I better update this. The food we were feeding was confirmed discontinued by the manufacturer. I think the pellets i had recently bought were stale, due to sitting on the shelf for too long. Which explains why the buns weren't bothered to eat them anymore. (I was worried they were poorly, they never avoid food!)

I've been phasing in the new pellets for a few weeks and I can safely say the buns love them! I must admit they smell good. They are back to mobbing me when its pellet time.

We've switched to Meadow Mania, because it was the closest in ingredients to what they had before. They also seem to have much more energy and keep bouncing around the house!

Thought I better update this. The food we were feeding was confirmed discontinued by the manufacturer. I think the pellets i had recently bought were stale, due to sitting on the shelf for too long. Which explains why the buns weren't bothered to eat them anymore. (I was worried they were poorly, they never avoid food!)

I've been phasing in the new pellets for a few weeks and I can safely say the buns love them! I must admit they smell good. They are back to mobbing me when its pellet time.

We've switched to Meadow Mania, because it was the closest in ingredients to what they had before. They also seem to have much more energy and keep bouncing around the house!

I've never heard of Meadow Mania. Going to Google!

Back