• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Blossom Please

Woke up today to find Blossom huddled in her house. Ate a tiny bit of breakfast around 8am but nothing since.

There's some tooth grinding and she seems very quiet. We've had a feel and listen to belly and although there's definitely noises it doesn't feel quite as it should.

Oddly her ears are toasty which isnt something I've seen in a gi episode before so I'm wondering if it might be something else.

We tried a new hay yesterday and I'm hoping this hasn't upset things for her.

We're off to the vets at 3PM and shes had some metacam and such to get her comfier but it feels like a long time away.

I've also got a manic day at work and am desperately trying to stay focused while trying not to freak about losing another bunny.

I'm really starting to think we're terrible bunny parents. We're at the vets almost every month with something or other.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Big hugs CarelessSquid07, you're not terrible! :love: Bunnies are really awkward :) I hope Blossom feels better and the vet appointment goes well xx I've had toasty ears with other things but last proper gut statis episode we had was very cold ears, so maybe it's something else she's been hiding (ear infection?), hope the vet finds it and it's easy to sort :)

No poo yet although there were new piles when I went to bed at about 11ish last night. So its not been too long.

She does bigger lighter poos than Rodney but in smaller piles. I am wondering about an infection too. Its not something we've treated before.

She has moved about a bit and there seems to be some belly pressing but it's hard to tell. Her dewlap is so huge she tends to look like she's doing that anyway whenever she sits.

She's in the loo as far away from me as possible at the moment. Very squinty but doesnt look like she's straining.

Not a terrible bunny parent at all - quite the opposite. Lots & lots of get well vibes for Blossom xx

She's just had a bit of a move about to get comfy.

Her ears seem oddly strong. Like normally as I stroke her she would fold them back or they would flatten as I go.

Whereas they're standing up strong and not moving when I stroke them at all and I can see her veins through her ears. She must have a temperature possibly?

She's just had a bit of a move about to get comfy.

Her ears seem oddly strong. Like normally as I stroke her she would fold them back or they would flatten as I go.

Whereas they're standing up strong and not moving when I stroke them at all and I can see her veins through her ears. She must have a temperature possibly?

More likely a pain induced stress response. Is she drinking and weeing ?

Any sign of a slight head tilt or nystagmus (eyeballs flicking).

No nothing at all. She had the liquids in the critical care which I usually make sloppyish for ease with little syrings and actually seemed to enjoy once it was in her mouth.

I did think her eyes did a flicker while I was holding her earlier like left to right. Which seemed odd but she often goes very wide eyed when picked up.

I've stopped approaching her for now, she keeps tensing up so I thought I'd see if she can get some rest before the manhandling and 30 min trip to the vets.

I absolutely know it's the right vets for them they've been amazing but I do wish they were a wee bit closer. I'm having to sneak off from home working and am terrified my boss will call although to be fair her doesnt often do that.

I wish hubby had passed his driving test by now. He started learning last Nov but two lockdowns plus terrible nerves means hes not ready yet so I'm always the one going to the vet and I forget everything when I get there.

I'm now taping a list for the vet to the carrier and hope they won't be offended...

Sorry to hear that Blossom is giving cause for concern. Good luck at the vets, and no the vets will pleased you are giving them as much info as possible, it's always easy to forget something once you get there. sending lots of vibes x

If you think some neurological symptoms are evident then I’d mention the possibility of Encephalitozoon Cuniculi to the Vet. I’d also ask the Vet to thoroughly examine her ears . Topping up the vibes for her ❤️

Just arrived and waiting in the car park.

I think she's started mouth breathing her heads up and mouth looks open although it's not audible.

I think I keep trying to notice eveything though and am wondering if I'm seeing extra things. I'm not usually too anxious apart from for the buns.

She's hypermobile so it may be she's dislocated something and is masking it as shes very opposed to moving now.

I've written a massive list and taped it to her carrier because I know I'll forget to say things when they come get her. I just hope they're running on time.

Just arrived and waiting in the car park.

I think she's started mouth breathing her heads up and mouth looks open although it's not audible.

I think I keep trying to notice eveything though and am wondering if I'm seeing extra things. I'm not usually too anxious apart from for the buns.

She's hypermobile so it may be she's dislocated something and is masking it as shes very opposed to moving now.

I've written a massive list and taped it to her carrier because I know I'll forget to say things when they come get her. I just hope they're running on time.

Call the Vet from outside the surgery NOW if she is mouth breathing, she will need oxygen STAT.

Luckily was about to dial the vet appeared at my car door.

Vet took a quick look and she's in distress with head tilted back but not mouth breathing thankfully. Just her mouth hanging open a little apparently and me panicking.

She has some swelling in her abdomen and some clumps of faeces blocking her up. They're admitting her for fluid therapy and intense medication and some imaging as well.

This feels very much like Primrose although the vet was convinced that was Rodney's hair and I'm starting to wonder if theres something about our environment triggering it.

Thank you all so much.

I feel so very guilty about this all and have already convinced myself we'll lose her. I've never had an non routine admitted bunny come home.

I fear I've offended the vet by asking for my usual exotic lady who is on holiday. Luckily they have another who supervises from afar at the moment while she's on parental leave.

I forgot to bring her food with me although luckily hubby stuffed her carrier full of hay so hopefully she'll have that to feel familiar along with her cage blankets.

Still I have to hold in my mind that she will be much comfier once they get her settled and her painkillers are all sorted.

Apparently she was quite happy to walk around for them so hopefully that continues to help keep things moving.

Back