• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting a mini lop, need advice about medical stuff..

dwitkos

New Kit
Hi, in about a week I will be picking up my first ever mini lop rabbit. I never had a rabbit before, and I'm not originally from the UK, and never had to do any of this as this is my first pet in the UK, so I need some help / advice. Here are my questions:

1. Do I "register" the rabbit at a vet? I know he needs to get 2 vaccines (RHD1 & RHD2) but do I just contact a vet and arrange a visit? What's the best option cost wise? I guess this question also applies to neutering him (I know I should wait until he's around 4 or 5 months old). Also are Vets4Pets good? They seem to have good reviews and seem like the best option in my area (Huddersfield).

2. How often should I visit the vet for general health check ups?

3. Should I get pet insurance? Is it worth it? If so, what does everyone recommend? I saw that Vets4Pets have this "Complete Care" thing which costs £8 a month for a rabbit, but I'm not sure exactly what it covers and if it even makes sense to get it? (I'll probably give them a call or a visit to find out exactly first)

4. Anything else you think I should know about/do?

Thanks in advance, sorry if the questions are stupid but I want my rabbit to be as happy and as healthy as possible and I wanna make sure I know how everything works :).

- Damian

You just need to call the Vet to arrange an initial appointment and registration. Vets4Pets are a large franchise, they can vary greatly regarding how Rabbit Savvy the individual Practices are, some are great, some are awful. You could take a look on here for a list of Rabbit Savvy Vets

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

The vaccinations should cover for Myxomatosis as well as RHD1 and RHD2. There is now a triple vaccine that covers all three and is given once a year, Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus.

The Pet Care Plans offered by Veterinary Practices usually only cover for routine preventative treatments, not for illnesses or accidents. Personally I would look into a Pet Insurance Policy as unexpected Veterinary costs can escalate alarmingly. It is not unusual to end up with a four figure bill after an Emergency, especially if out of hours Veterinary care is needed.

Finally book Mark this website, you won’t go wrong by following the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Good luck with your new Bunny :)

Pay great attention to your Rabbit's diet which should consist of mainly hay or grass, pellets and once your Rabbit is old enough a small amount of veg or herbs. Do not feed anything with seeds or corn in it, no nuts or bread. Fruit can be give in small pieces once a week as it is too high in sugar and can upset Rabbit's tummy. Carrots are also high in sugar so only a tiny piece now and again.

Care must be taken to keep Bunny's house very clean, no wood shavings as this can cause respiratory problems. Rabbits can be fairly easily litter trained by giving them a litter tray with newspaper or similar on the bottom and hay on the top as they like to eat while they go to the toilet.

Give your new pet lots of time to settle in and get used to his new home, and bear in mind Rabbits do not generally like to be picked up but let him come to you on the floor.

Lots more excellent advice on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website, the Rabbit Bible!

Back