• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pros and cons of a pair/trio

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
Hello! I haven’t been on here for a long time!

Tapla is becoming wobbly in her old age and although the vet feels she’s doing okay she is also completely blind, almost completely deaf, both front feet/ankles are fused with arthritis and now has weak and wobbly back legs as well as preferring to turn in a circle. She’s lost feeling in the lateral side of her right back foot. She’s on gabapentin and stemetil but it’s not making very much difference. I don’t want her to have to suffer and will be having her out to sleep in the next few weeks or so.

I’ve considered adopting 2 girls to go with Winston instead of just 1 and I wondered if there’s any pro/cons I’ve not considered?

Winston would probably love 2 wives and it means when one dies I’m not left with a single bun that will be sad and lonely for a few weeks until I can adopt another.

If I have 3 I might need a bigger carrier. Extra vaccine and insurance cost. Negligible extra food cost 🐰 one might be left out? Winston and Tapla absolutely dote on each other so he has a lot of love to give but what if his wifeys get jealous 🥺?

Hello, good to hear from you again, hope you are OK :)

IME Trio bonds are never as stable as pairs and there is usually always one Rabbit who is left out to some degree. Again only IME , but the only exception to this has been when all Rabbits are related eg siblings or Mother and her off-spring. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Hello, good to hear from you again, hope you are OK :)

IME Trio bonds are never as stable as pairs and there is usually always one Rabbit who is left out to some degree. Again only IME , but the only exception to this has been when all Rabbits are related eg siblings or Mother and her off-spring. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Thanks for your opinion, I think you’re probably right! As much as I’d love extra bunnies I should probably stick with pairs until I can have an entire herd one day 😄 I’ve reserved a girl at Windwhistle 🥺 she’s a very nervous girl so I’m excited to give her the time and space she needs to decide humans are a bit better than she thinks ❤️

Thanks for your opinion, I think you’re probably right! As much as I’d love extra bunnies I should probably stick with pairs until I can have an entire herd one day �� I’ve reserved a girl at Windwhistle �� she’s a very nervous girl so I’m excited to give her the time and space she needs to decide humans are a bit better than she thinks ❤️

:love:

Hello! I think if the girls were Sisters then it would work, or if they were very young. I had 2 Sisters bonded with a boy and they both loved him equally - it was wonderful to see, and of course lovely for Benny the boy. Sorry the time is coming for your female but hope your new bunny/ies will settle well.

Good to see you :wave: I’m sorry to hear about Tapla :cry: I’ve never had a trio, only pairs or the quad, so I can’t really advise.

You have given Tapla a wonderful life. I am sorry she is struggling and you will soon need to determine the right time to PTS.
Good luck with your bonding experience. It is so wonderful that you can turn this negative into a positive by giving a lovely experience to a bunny in need.

Back