• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pips ripped out a huge piece of fur[emoji24]

Mervinius

Mama Doe
I think Pip must be in pain with her teeth she's ripped a huge piece of fur off her right leg. [emoji24] she is booked in to see a new vet at 12 tomorrow. Hoping they will be able to do something and I won't have to rebook another appointment. It looks so sore and now I'm really worrying. Its only been 4 weeks since her last appointment

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Oh no. You really do go through the mill with little Pip. It must be really stressful her needing dentals so oftem.

She doesn't have any fur mites or anything causing irritation to her leg does she. I guess if she can't use her incissors she won't be ableto groom effectivey

I hope her appointment goes well

Oh no. You really do go through the mill with little Pip. It must be really stressful her needing dentals so oftem.

She doesn't have any fur mites or anything causing irritation to her leg does she. I guess if she can't use her incissors she won't be ableto groom effectivey

I hope her appointment goes well
Yeah it is. Its hard to relax, feel like I'm always watching her. No. Its definitely a pain response, she started doing it last month before she needed a dental, but she matted the fur a bit. This time it looks like she's been shaved. [emoji24]

Her appointments not until 12. Going to be fretting all night and morning.

Yeah it is. Its hard to relax, feel like I'm always watching her. No. Its definitely a pain response, she started doing it last month before she needed a dental, but she matted the fur a bit. This time it looks like she's been shaved. [emoji24]

Her appointments not until 12. Going to be fretting all night and morning.

do you have vet ok to use metacam at times like this?

do you have vet ok to use metacam at times like this?
No. Its never been quite like this. But must admit teeth are getting worse. Im going to phone first thing to see if they can burr them if i can bring her in first thing . Buns are such a worry. On a positive note her appetite is great. Just gave her snall bits of dried forage so sges not chewing on hard pellets

Thanks. What i dont understand is how shes ripped it out, because her teeth don't meet! Its very odd. I'll update tomorrow

Sorry to hear About Pip, Clementine can lick fur straight off her skin when she's in pain [emoji51] it might be that, just over grooming

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I guess she cod have just locked it off. Weird cos she'd been flopped asleep most of the day. She must have done it very quickly. The hair was very wet around the area.

Going to phone them in a minute when they open. Ps shes still eating and being herself.

Mini update. They can't see her until her appointment. Only spoke to reception, but the vet will see what he can do once he's had done her consultation.

I guess her spur might have grown back on her back molar in which case she'll need sedation. [emoji17] but I could then ask for a skull xray. Thr molar spur only seems to appear every other dental appointment, which is odd.

Thankyou. Archie has now done 2 squishy/watery cecos on my OH rug! So he's obviously had a tummy upset. Could eating cardboard do this? He has been eating the maze!

Update.

Pip got a teeth burred back down. One of her top teeth had a sharp edge that was stabbing into her tongue. Luckily the tongue wasn't cut though!

The vet is sending us a quote to have them removed, he doesn't normally do an xray. But we can request one if we want, he doesn't think its necessary however. He's done lots of removals on rabbits before.

Update.

Pip got a teeth burred back down. One of her top teeth had a sharp edge that was stabbing into her tongue. Luckily the tongue wasn't cut though!

The vet is sending us a quote to have them removed, he doesn't normally do an xray. But we can request one if we want, he doesn't think its necessary however. He's done lots of removals on rabbits before.

I hope she is feeling more comfy now. Good your vet has lots of experience with incisor removals - that must be reassuring

I hope she is feeling more comfy now. Good your vet has lots of experience with incisor removals - that must be reassuring
I expect so. She's currently hiding in her wooden house. [emoji1787] she certainly got lots of cuddles at the vets. Yes I feel much better after being there and no we've made the right choice moving vets.

Update.

Personally I would not consent to Incisor extraction with out prior skull radiography :shock:

https://todaysveterinarynurse.com/articles/rabbit-dentistry/

Last edited:
Back