Thread: Heatlamps?

Default Heatlamps?

I'm sure I've seen posts about them but I can't seem to find any at the moment.

Despite being insulated the girls shed is just as cold as outside. I was hoping to find something to take the edge off for them, any ideas on a suitable heat source?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

I have used a heat lamp hung from the ceiling in the goat shed, when Charlie and Lola were born. It worked well to keep the chill off. We have also got an oil filled radiator in our summer house which keeps the chill off in there. Not used anything other than snugglesafes when I used to have bunnies in a shed outside, and a hay packed wooden hideaway box. The issues would be keeping cables away from them and keeping them away from the actual lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    I have used a heat lamp hung from the ceiling in the goat shed, when Charlie and Lola were born. It worked well to keep the chill off. We have also got an oil filled radiator in our summer house which keeps the chill off in there. Not used anything other than snugglesafes when I used to have bunnies in a shed outside, and a hay packed wooden hideaway box. The issues would be keeping cables away from them and keeping them away from the actual lamp.
    We already have wires in the shed for the light and camera so wires for heat lamp wouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure I could keep it high up to prevent access.

I would consider it to be safe enough to have on a timer so it just turns on and off a few times throughout the day/night to remove any chill?

They currently have cardboard boxes stuff with straw inside the hide part of their hutch, and their div box is filled with straw too.

I can't wait for better weather when I'll be able to upgrade everything.

Quote Originally Posted by daphnephoebe View Post
    We already have wires in the shed for the light and camera so wires for heat lamp wouldn't be an issue.

I'm pretty sure I could keep it high up to prevent access.

I would consider it to be safe enough to have on a timer so it just turns on and off a few times throughout the day/night to remove any chill?

They currently have cardboard boxes stuff with straw inside the hide part of their hutch, and their div box is filled with straw too.

I can't wait for better weather when I'll be able to upgrade everything.

You could use a timer, I just used to have it turned on at night and it stayed on. We used cable clips to keep the cable neatly up on the ceiling. I used this heat lamp from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mama Doe

Electric tubular heaters are used in kennels (and greenhouses), with a mesh guard over them. They could go on a timer and /or thermostat.

I use an oil filled radiator in our insulated shed. Its on 24/7 and is set at a specific temp so only comes on when the shed gets colder than said temp.

Makes it sound complicated!

Thanks everyone.
    Appears the tube ones are cheaper and can be thermostat set so I'll have a look into them further.