• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Snowflake

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
I have four outdoor rabbits all of which are are 8 years old (the quad).

Frosty and Snowflake, brothers from a pet shop.

Tessie and Daisy, sisters from barc rescue.

The problem is that very recently Snowflake has not been going into their shed at all. He sits in the attached aviary. Frosty chases him at meal times (has always chased all of them at meal times) but somehow this seems to have ended up with Snowflake being excluded.

A while ago I tried bonding the quad with my indoor m/f pair, Loganberry and his lovely doe, Moondust. The bond didnt work out. Frosty and Logan didnt want to live together.

I just dont have space for another set up and I am wondering if it would be kinder to rehome 2 of the quad ... but which two? Also would it be kinder? Eek feel so concerned for Snoffers.

I also wondered about trying to bond just Snowflake to L and M but dont think they would like that.

Help!

Has Snowflake been checked over by a Vet in recent weeks ? When a Rabbit has a health problem brewing other Rabbits can bully him/her.

Sending vibes.
As JJ suggested, a health check would be a good option.
Also consider having all 4 shut in the shed for a short period of time, ideally with you supervising to try to encourage becoming a fully bonded group again.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

In the end I decided to split them into two pairs. Snowflake and Tessie in the shed/aviary. Frosty and Daisy in the smaller shed/run (which the indoor rabbits had briefly but never went in the run). The shed roof leaks so I have put a bucket under the leak and will be getting roofing felt and flat nails asap.

Snowflake is back to his usual self, Tessie is all good, Frosty and Daisy enjoyed exploring their new space. Frosty mounted her a lot, she ignored him and they are totally fine and at ease with each other. Phew I can relax again.

Back