• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY hay rack advice

MiceyRyder

New Kit
I'm thinking about building a DIY hay box for my trio to save on some wasting - I currently restock multiple litter boxes 3 times a day.

They live outside a in a shed/hutch 3ft x 6ft footprint (with 2 levels) . This is attached to 2 runs via tunnels - 12ft x 8ft run on concrete (covered with 24h access) and a 16ft x 16ft run on grass ( not covered and only open 7-20 when they are supervised).

I'm looking to build a hay rack for a few reasons:
1) it would have to be large enough for 3 rabbits.
2) ideally can put a litter box below it. (they have a extra large flat cat litter that could work)
3) keep it dry (either inside the hutch or smaller run) therefore 3ft tall max.

I have 2 ideas so far either:
1) essentially block off a corner of the hutch with wood and cut rabbit head sized holes
2) large free standing rack in the run space.

Edit- 3) could build a compost bin type set up (it would use a lot of space though) where human fills top of big and rabbits eat from bottom.

My main 2 worries are quantity of hay I can fit and cleaning - the open rack might blow hay around the garden as it can get fairly windy.

If anyone has done something similar - particuly with the hutch I would love to hear how it went. I'm also not sure exactly how big the holes should be to allow free access but stop them climbing inside.

Many thanks.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I use wire hanging plant baskets in my runs. Just make sure the buns can't sit in them as they may hurt their legs if they get trapped in the mesh, so either pull the chains very short, or make a lid for them.
There are bigger alternatives to litter trays - underbed storage boxes, or garden tidy trays (which should be better outside / UV stable)

I use magazine racks, free standing next to a 32 litre underbed storage box which is lined with newspaper and hay.

I use wire hanging plant baskets in my runs. Just make sure the buns can't sit in them as they may hurt their legs if they get trapped in the mesh, so either pull the chains very short, or make a lid for them.
There are bigger alternatives to litter trays - underbed storage boxes, or garden tidy trays (which should be better outside / UV stable)

I like using these too

kxTPR7xl.jpg

Thanks for the replies. How much hay fits in the baskets? Enough for 3 medium sized to feed on (potentially for 12h some days)? Sometimes Im not available middle of day for three hay changes.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

I'd estimate mine will take a kilo of hay if they were stuffed, maybe moe Joey & Boo clear one of those racks a day but it isn't rammed

Mine's similar to J&B's, I can easily stuff a kilo in. Mine (outside) clear it in winter in about 3-4 days, but they do have loads of other hayracks. I've put chickenwire over 3/4 of the open side of a half-sphere hanging basket and use it on its side, also chickenwire over the 'fancy' bit of my windowbasket hayrack and they insist on climbing over it :roll: I also have a big square hanging basket which is just right for holding hay but I'm not sure Chibbs can really reach it in its current location.

Some pictures:

79252954_10103935776615908_926246417994745912_o.jpg

Rabbits shown here about 2.5kg for size/hay need comparisons :) That's the fancy bit I've covered in chickenwire, but you need to be careful doing that. The bottom of the windowbox is the side seen here, facing the litter tray. Two hooks at the bottom hook over the top bar as-was, and there's a couple of loops pf copper wire at the now-top which loop over hooks in the wall, som I can either flip it down to refill or remove it entirely.

106528665_10103935780558008_5117623955740360079_o.jpg

Lopsy trapped in the hutch by the half-sphere hayrack, which they've pulled off the hook and rolled in front of the hutch entrance :roll:

1267171_10101835062094648_2331837459790755283_o.jpg

Hanging hayrack just before refill.

I think Shimmer got an awesome idea. Using wire hanging plant baskets is a great option in your situation MiceyRyder. It would help if you kept in mind that rabbits can gnaw through wooden walls and even plastic baskets. So in your place is better to make a metal wall in their living places so the construction will have better durability and a long period of use. Also, you may think to put the hay box on the top with the help of the joist hangers. In any case, you would economize more money if you got 5 rabbits instead of 3, yes, it will increase your expenses, but they will grow their population way faster.

Last edited:
Back