• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Me again, I'm becoming a regular pain in the backside. I prefer this forum to facebook as it is more personal and sometimes facebook is so judgemental. Anyway, I have decided to just bond my babies back together after neutering because of anis problems instead of sending them away to bond a trio. Ani needs bunny support Asap. Will I have to wait afterwards. They are getting neutered same day , I only separated them to prevent babies. They have lived in the same house but separated. I will be bringing both in the house afterwards for a few days and can stay up all night with them, I work from home so can watch them all the time, Will they not bond back together straight away. They're around each other 24/7 Now . I think it will help ani through he whole situation. The vets, coming In the house where she's never been, the whole thing will be so scary for her and with her brother I'm sure she will cope much better. After separating them the decline in her was so obvious ,otherwise I would never of realised she had any kind of issue. I obviously want to do the right thing , I just thought the circumstances are perfect for a rebond that wasnt completely broken.
Thank you yet again

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

A spay is a major operation. I would allow Ani time to recover from the op before she is put in a position of having to deal with another rabbit that she isn't living with - it's just too much stress. She needs to be kept quiet and no jumping etc so she can heal. Introducing another rabbit immediately (even her brother) would involve chases, mounting, etc. and she needs to be fit enough to deal with it. She could get injured, or she could turn on him as she is more vulnerable than usual - neither of which will lead to a successful bond. See how she is a week after the op, and reassess. He also needs time to heal, but it isn't such a major operation. There is no reason why they couldn't be side by side with a mesh panel separating them while they recover, as long as there is no aggression through the bars.

Firstly, you are NOT a pain in the backside, OK :)

Well there would obviously be no risk of babies after both neuters, but personally I would give them at least a week for them both to get over the operation. Then you might have problems in that their hormones would still be an issue, but you would soon realise that and could hold off for another little while again. I agree with your reasoning re Ani.

A spay is a major operation. I would allow Ani time to recover from the op before she is put in a position of having to deal with another rabbit that she isn't living with - it's just too much stress. She needs to be kept quiet and no jumping etc so she can heal. Introducing another rabbit immediately (even her brother) would involve chases, mounting, etc. and she needs to be fit enough to deal with it. She could get injured, or she could turn on him as she is more vulnerable than usual - neither of which will lead to a successful bond. See how she is a week after the op, and reassess. He also needs time to heal, but it isn't such a major operation. There is no reason why they couldn't be side by side with a mesh panel separating them while they recover, as long as there is no aggression through the bars.
Thank you. They do ok side by side, she just struggles with normal life in general. I haven't worked out what is wrong with her yet but I Suspect she can't see properly or hear properly. Something is missing, but working out what it is is difficult, I'm hoping the vets can work it out when she is there., she does really well once she has worked out her enviroment, i just want her to feel safe at the vets and then In the house with us afterwards, I sense her fear, it's so hard. I know she needs another bunny to help her desperatly, Shes been with me for 5 weeks now and on her own for 3 weeks and she's still unsure whats going on. Advice taken though , anything to make life easier x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Back