Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incisor removal advice

Default Incisor removal advice

Hey everyone, I'll try to keep this short

I'm after a bit of advice. I've finally convinced my OH that Pip needs to have her incisors removed. They first went wonky in Feb and shes had many burrs since then and they sadly haven't straightened.

Most of her dentals have been conscious, but she's had to have 2 anathestics due to us leaving it too long during lockdown and she got a spur on a molar. our vets would only see emergency appointments until Sept!

We are having to get her teeth burred between 2-6 weeks depending on the vet she sees and how short they are trimmed. Although she copes really well with the procedure and starts munching straight away. I dont want to keep taking her for the rest of her life which could be another 5-7 years.

Now there is no rwaf recommended vet near me, my current vet was a silver and I've noticed they have been removed. I believe this is due to a particular vet leaving.

This vet has opened a new practice and I've booked Pip in for a second opinion at this practice.

I have no idea what I need to ask in terms of the operation? Has anyone had this done? It sounds like a horrid procedure and I'm so scared of it going wrong. I know it's in her best interests though. Is there anything I need to consider in terms of Pros and Cons of having it done?

She's had no xrays done. Her teeth are only out by about 3mm, which makes it more difficult to see because they grow under her top lip. She's so teeny which such a tiny mouth, it doesn't take long for them to get too long!

Our current vet has been really good with her and I can't decide where is best to go. I'm in serious worry mode.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

I have had a few Rabbits who had their incisors extracted. All did extremely well, both immediately after the procedure and for the rest of their lives . Skull radiographs are usually essential before the procedure.

https://vet-ecpd.com/content/uploads...l-notes-JR.pdf

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Hidden-in - Sight.
    https://www.hiddeninsight.org/

Wise Old Thumper

I've got a Netherland who had his Incisors out about 18 months ago and he copes very well. He can eat pellets, grass and hay with no trouble but veg has to be in narrow strips.

Thanks to you both. Have you buns been able to groom themselves?

I've read the doc Jane thanks. I'm sure he will recommend an xray.

I'm glad she should be able to eat hay. I read they should be given chopped up hay somewhere and she won't eat it. Only eats long strands. She doesnt get any veg, so we don't need to worry about that. She does get forage, but that's dry, so normally in small pieces.

Buns are such a worry

Wise Old Thumper

Yes he seems to manage very well. It's better than keep having them burred imo.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Yes he seems to manage very well. It's better than keep having them burred imo.
    That's good to know. Thank you so much. Yeah I recon it must stress her even though she doesnt show it. Plus I'm always worrying whether we should be taking her. Its hard to plan around the appointments. Especially with lockdowns etc

Just one thing to be mindful of is that she will need her molar teeth monitored every few months to make sure that they are being worn down appropriately. Molar problems are certainly not inevitable after incisor extraction, but it is always best for the Vet to monitor them.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Hidden-in - Sight.
    https://www.hiddeninsight.org/

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

When I adopted my first bun Scrappy, she had already had her incisors removed by her previous owner's vet. She coped perfectly well without them. She managed long stranded hay fine. The only thing was, as people have mentioned, is that other food need to be chopped up to make it easier for her to manage.

The only thing I would say is to make sure the vet working on Pip is competent in dentistry. It turned out that Scrappy's previous vet had just snapped the main part of the tooth rather than fully extracting it. This meant the root was left behind. This was shown up in CT scans we had done to get to the bottom of her recurrent tear duct infections. That left behind root was the cause of the problem but unfortunately couldn't be extracted without risky and complicated surgery.

Sorry to give you something extra to worry about!

Jane do you mean the removal could cause spur problems on the molars? We do get their teeth checked when they go for their vaccines, but that would only be once a year now they are on the new triple vaccine.

Scrappy thanks for the extra info. Yes I'm worried about them being removed properly. I will ask how many removals the vet has done, which will hopefully give me an idea. I cant imagine surgery is easy on a teeny bun

Quote Originally Posted by Mervinius View Post
    Jane do you mean the removal could cause spur problems on the molars? We do get their teeth checked when they go for their vaccines, but that would only be once a year now they are on the new triple vaccine.

Scrappy thanks for the extra info. Yes I'm worried about them being removed properly. I will ask how many removals the vet has done, which will hopefully give me an idea. I cant imagine surgery is easy on a teeny bun

Gilbert didn't have molar problems before incisior removal and hasn't since. I suspect Jane means incisor removal won't cure that situation rather than there being a likelihood of it causing it.
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13) and 12.12.20