• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's up with ani

glitterdust

Warren Scout
I have 3 buns , all not bonded yet. I am concerned about my youngest girl ani. She isn't like the "usual" bun whatever that is, I'm not sure what is wrong with her. Something isn't right. She possibly can't see properly or hear properly or a bit of both. I maybe completely wrong . She's nervous and doesn't see me coming or hear me. she has a vacant look about Her, she's a nervous wreck and im finding myself naturally putting my hand to Her nose when I approach her so she knows it's me. She scares easily and I understand her ways,and totally respect her, I dont over power her with attention and I do everything I can to make her feel more comfortable. My main worry is she is getting neutered next week and I know she's going to be so scared. The bond between her and her brother has gone since I separated them, otherwise she would of had him to support her. I just want to wrap this fragile girl up in cottonwool and protect her from everything.. My concern also is when they are bonding will the fact she is different make the others aggressive towards her. She manages to find everything and Binkies around so I think she can see something. Maybe she has had a bad start in life I don't know, as I can see unhappiness in her eyes , She will benefit alot from being around another bunny or bunnies.. Anyone else have a bunny like this? X

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You will probably find she gains much more confidence once she has Rabbit companions. I would not attempt a Trio bond straight away, but introduce her to just one other Rabbit. If she is both poor sighted and deaf introducing two new Rabbits at the same time would, IMO, be too much for her.

Is she a REW Lop ?

When she goes in for her spay make the Vets aware of how nervous she is. Hopefully they will have a separate Hospital area for Rabbits, away from Cats and Dogs. I hope that all goes well for her x

You will probably find she gains much more confidence once she has Rabbit companions. I would not attempt a Trio bond straight away, but introduce her to just one other Rabbit. If she is both poor sighted and deaf introducing two new Rabbits at the same time would, IMO, be too much for her.

Is she a REW Lop ?

When she goes in for her spay make the Vets aware of how nervous she is. Hopefully they will have a separate Hospital area for Rabbits, away from Cats and Dogs. I hope that all goes well for her x

I was just thinking before while I was outside with her, i might just cancel the trio bond and just bond ani back with her brother after the operation and sort dolly out later with a friend of her own, dolly's bonded to me and is very happy that way, it's me who suffers because she nips for attention all the time, Ani most definitely desperately needs support, I've been with her all morning and she constantly walks around wary. You know when you put something different in with the rabbits and they kind of walk very slowly and are unsure around it, well she is like that most of the time until she knows exactly where things are and has worked things out. It's like a light is out in her eyes.
What is a REW lop?. I will attach a pic of her.
I think sending them away for bonding would be so cruel on her, she really wont understand what's going on [emoji22]. My heart aches for her. I would rather bond the babies back myself and monitor the whole situation..

02dd2d09dc87384184a6536eb72023f5.jpg

I was just thinking before while I was outside with her, i might just cancel the trio bond and just bond ani back with her brother after the operation and sort dolly out later with a friend of her own, dolly's bonded to me and is very happy that way, it's me who suffers because she nips for attention all the time, Ani most definitely desperately needs support, I've been with her all morning and she constantly walks around wary. You know when you put something different in with the rabbits and they kind of walk very slowly and are unsure around it, well she is like that most of the time until she knows exactly where things are and has worked things out. It's like a light is out in her eyes.
What is a REW lop?. I will attach a pic of her.
I think sending them away for bonding would be so cruel on her, she really wont understand what's going on [emoji22]. My heart aches for her. I would rather bond the babies back myself and monitor the whole situation..

02dd2d09dc87384184a6536eb72023f5.jpg

I have googled REW lop, she isn't a white rabbit she does have red-eyes in certain light but I'm not sure that means anything.

I think personally she will love to be reunited with her Brother when/if he is neutered.
They are both getting neutered next Thursday. They have lived side by side since I reluctantly separated them.

REW is Red Eyed White. Often, white animals with red eyes have poor vision and tend to 'scan' (move their head side to side) so they can see better. I've had it in a range of pets (rabbits, chipmunks, gerbils). It doesn't seem to bother them - they don't know anything different - but is noticeable when you watch them.

I hope the neuterings go well and the bunnies are successfully reunited when they have healed up.
As Jane suggested, I would try bonding this trio by adding one rabbit at a time so Ani can cope.

Rodney was a bit like that when he came to us from rescue.

The RSPCA didnt tell us his background but his reactions to hand and feet moving towards him were really upsetting. He also really struggled with hubby's voice.

Luckily at heart he's a very curious boy, he approaches everything cautiously but is always happy to test something and the run away at speed.

We spent a lot of time lying on the floor with him and letting him di his thing. And hubby became the food source so he could link breakfast and dinner with the voice.

But things really improved when he bonded with Primrose, he became a right cheeky chap and happy to charge away. I think he learned to trust us through her as she'd always been a sassy house bun who ruled the household.

And he taught her his daredevil antics [emoji1787]

I think you'll find once she's rebonded she'll gain some of her bunnyness back.

Does she know her brother is still with you? Another possibility is she's grieving for him?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Rodney was a bit like that when he came to us from rescue.

The RSPCA didnt tell us his background but his reactions to hand and feet moving towards him were really upsetting. He also really struggled with hubby's voice.

Luckily at heart he's a very curious boy, he approaches everything cautiously but is always happy to test something and the run away at speed.

We spent a lot of time lying on the floor with him and letting him di his thing. And hubby became the food source so he could link breakfast and dinner with the voice.

But things really improved when he bonded with Primrose, he became a right cheeky chap and happy to charge away. I think he learned to trust us through her as she'd always been a sassy house bun who ruled the household.

And he taught her his daredevil antics [emoji1787]

I think you'll find once she's rebonded she'll gain some of her bunnyness back.

Does she know her brother is still with you? Another possibility is she's grieving for him?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
They are beside each other but I know she needs to be with him and vice versa. They have been neutered today and are currently recovering right next to each other, I know they will need rebonding but I really dont feel the bond ever broke I separated to avoid mating and i know it was like taking away Ani's comfort blanket. They are literally lieing side by side through metal runs, I will probably let them be together sooner than advised but I will see what happens.
Thank you

They are beside each other but I know she needs to be with him and vice versa. They have been neutered today and are currently recovering right next to each other, I know they will need rebonding but I really dont feel the bond ever broke I separated to avoid mating and i know it was like taking away Ani's comfort blanket. They are literally lieing side by side through metal runs, I will probably let them be together sooner than advised but I will see what happens.
Thank you

I hope they both recover well from their neuters.

Back