Thread: This Year's Hay

Wise Old Thumper

Default This Year's Hay

Hay is now costing me 20 a week and it isn't as good as it has been. It seems to absorb the wee more as well. He has run out of small bales so he uses large bales and puts it into bags.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Hay is now costing me 20 a week and it isn't as good as it has been. It seems to absorb the wee more as well. He has run out of small bales so he uses large bales and puts it into bags.
    Hay will vary from year to year depending to an extent on what the weather has been like and whether the farmer has judged the time of cutting correctly. I can't think why it should absorb wee more though. Are the bags he uses allowing it to breathe when you store it? Is it costing more because he's charging more, or because you're having to throw some away because the quality is bad?

I had a lovely bag of the softest greenest meadow hay from B&M!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Hay will vary from year to year depending to an extent on what the weather has been like and whether the farmer has judged the time of cutting correctly. I can't think why it should absorb wee more though. Are the bags he uses allowing it to breathe when you store it? Is it costing more because he's charging more, or because you're having to throw some away because the quality is bad?
    I don't throw any away but he has only got 1/2 the amount he usually has. I normally order 6 bales and pay 30 but these will last about 3 weeks. Now it's in bags I get 10 bags for 40 and they have just done 2 weeks. The hay is in big plastic bags.

I have noticed a change in the hay quality this year for sure.

I buy my hay from timothyhay.co.uk, and usually get the 'Soft timothy hay' which is currently from the 2018 batch. I went for a 2020 timothy batch and my two wouldn't eat it! So I ordered the 2018 again and they wolfed it down. The weather this year in the UK was awful for hay production; periods of being very wet and then very hot and dry.

Hay definitely varies with weather! And if farmers have poor weather for hay and produce less, the price will go up. Supply and demand etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mashbywood6892 View Post
    I have noticed a change in the hay quality this year for sure.

I buy my hay from timothyhay.co.uk, and usually get the 'Soft timothy hay' which is currently from the 2018 batch. I went for a 2020 timothy batch and my two wouldn't eat it! So I ordered the 2018 again and they wolfed it down. The weather this year in the UK was awful for hay production; periods of being very wet and then very hot and dry.

Hay definitely varies with weather! And if farmers have poor weather for hay and produce less, the price will go up. Supply and demand etc.
    2018 is my bunnies favourite at the mo. I buy from there & haybox. Haybox timothy was the front runner for perhaps 4 orders, now its the bottom of the pile I thought it was my bunnies having changing tastes with winter but your theory about it being a difficult year for hay makes so much more sense