Thread: Rabbits removes patch after spaying

Default Rabbits removes patch after spaying

Hello,

Three days ago I had my two female rabbits spayed. I live in Bangkok and it's very difficult to speak and understand the vets here, and also the hospital is very far and they get very stressed during the travel.

This morning we went for a check up, and they applied the patches to the wounds, even though the vet said that one rabbit was allergic to it.

Five minutes after we arrived home, both rabbits removed the patches (the previous times they lasted longer), probably as they feel much better they have more energies to remove them.

The vet told me to reapply the patches if they remove them, but honestly I don't see the point as they would remove them again.

Do you think they can stay without it? If I regularly check on the wounds and disinfect them?

The cages and the house are clean, it's not as they are outdoor, and also the wounds are already 4 days old.

Many thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia86 View Post
    Hello,

Three days ago I had my two female rabbits spayed. I live in Bangkok and it's very difficult to speak and understand the vets here, and also the hospital is very far and they get very stressed during the travel.

This morning we went for a check up, and they applied the patches to the wounds, even though the vet said that one rabbit was allergic to it.

Five minutes after we arrived home, both rabbits removed the patches (the previous times they lasted longer), probably as they feel much better they have more energies to remove them.

The vet told me to reapply the patches if they remove them, but honestly I don't see the point as they would remove them again.

Do you think they can stay without it? If I regularly check on the wounds and disinfect them?

The cages and the house are clean, it's not as they are outdoor, and also the wounds are already 4 days old.

Many thanks for any help!
    None of my Does have ever had any sort of 'patch' applied to a spay wound. The wound should be closed with sub- dermal sutures and surgical glue. The sutures are not visible and the Rabbit cant nibble them. They dissolve naturally and do not need to be removed. As long as the surgical wounds are clean and dry with no abnormal lumps along or near the incision line then personally I would not re-apply a 'patch'. Especially if one Doe is allergic to it.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Hidden-in - Sight.
    https://www.hiddeninsight.org/

Wise Old Thumper

I agree with IM but I wouldn't put disinfectant on their wounds. Just keep everything extremely clean for the next 2 weeks. I hope your Bunnies will be fine, btw have they not fought since they were spayed as they do sometimes. If not you are very lucky!