• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female been aggressive

Ccgrace

New Kit
Hi

So Ive had my house rabbit for 7 months male - neutered very chilled out mini lop, has free reign of the house doesn't have a cage etc all he was missing is a friend.

So I rehomed a lovely female spayed Rex Rabbit brought her home on Saturday. Put her in a pen set up and planned to leave her for a week to settle in. Max has been besotted with her since I brought her home and hasn't left the cage side he just lies near her and has a bit of a honk.

I nipped out for the school run first thing this morning and when I came back home she had escaped from her cage and was lose in the kitchen so was Max. Im not sure how long they had been like that but they were just sat watching each other. So I got a couple of treats and let her explore all going well until Max tried to go near her not aggressive whatsoever ever and she just attacked him quite a lot of fur got pulled I broke it up immediately and popped her back in her cage.

Max bless him is still trying to be near her and still going up to the cage but she's been very aggressive each time. he just lied down with his bum close to the wires and she bit his bum through the wire and grunted.

I know the meeting was far too soon but I'm worried this may have ruined any chances of bonding, the sad thing is I honestly think its love at first sight for max but clearly the feeling isn't mutual. Where do I go from here to get her to calm down?

When were they both spayed/neutered? If it was within the last few weeks then their hormones might not have subsided. When you do the bonding if you do it in a small neutral space where neither bunny has been before then it will be more likely to be successful. I would put a pile of hay and forage in the bonding pen and make sure any pellets are scatter fed so it’s less Likely to cause issues.

Female 5 months ago according to the previous owner and max 6 weeks ago. He keeps going just sitting near the cage and she's attacking him through the bars every time trying to bite him.

I would be scared to put her anywhere near him at the minute. Can they come back from this?

Female 5 months ago according to the previous owner and max 6 weeks ago. He keeps going just sitting near the cage and she's attacking him through the bars every time trying to bite him.

I would be scared to put her anywhere near him at the minute. Can they come back from this?

Yes, I think so :) I think she is a bit overwhelmed and also possibly scared, which has prompted the aggressive response. I would put them each somewhere so they are completely separate for at least a week, out of sight and out of smell, and then try bonding in a small area where neither rabbit has been before.

Yes, I think so :) I think she is a bit overwhelmed and also possibly scared, which has prompted the aggressive response. I would put them each somewhere so they are completely separate for at least a week, out of sight and out of smell, and then try bonding in a small area where neither rabbit has been before.

I agree with this. Also, because they met unexpectedly on non neutral ground will have affected how they reacted to each other. The way that rabbits react from either side of a barrier in different territories is often completely different to how they will react when they are in a neutral area.

My female Lilac was like this for a good week when we first bought Rupert home, she wanted to kill him and even when we did introduce them she was the more aggressive. I'd agree with other posters, give them time and hopefully they'll bond in time!

Thanks I've managed to get a successful meeting for 30mins this morning by popping them both upstairs in the bathroom with boxes and hay they kind of ignored each other and had very little interaction but the did both lie down in their albeit not together so I'm taking that as progress. I'll keep at it I'm sure we can figure it out with time.

I’ve just read something that says if you have a house rabbit that’s out and free like Max is to switch them over so Max goes into her cage for a bit while she runs free. I’d never thought of that I’m currently putting him out of the room to give her time out of the pen would you recommend this? He’s not had a cage for so long I don’t know if he’ll appreciate it suddenly been trapped he only has a space with his bed etc but it’s not penned in he’s been like that for about 7 months.

Sounds like a good idea but don’t want to make him resent her changing his circumstances

To be honest, I would carry on doing what you're doing, ie putting your boy bun in another room while the girl bun has a run around the room. He's used to having plenty of space now so I think it's likely he'll get quite aggravated by being stuck in the cage watching her run about, which I don't think will help the bonding process.

Rodney is used to freedom and being put in our new girls still large cage sparks absolute bunny rage mode.

We usually block any view of Blossom being free with cardboard and bribe him with some treats mixed into hay for her turn out and about.

It has helped getting into a routine as he then knows when he's coming back out. Although he also hides when it's time to go in there bless him.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone being the first time ive ever bonded rabbits you do get panicky.

BUT I’m really pleased to say we already have two free running house bunnies who are getting on great.

There’s so much out there that you read that scares you or puts timings on things my experience was actually not as stressful as I was expecting given everything I read

Initial fight from there chance meeting, fight the next day so I changed the room all fighting stopped and they ignored each other after several meetings each day by Friday I felt comfortable putting them in the kitchen together and they spent all day there while I was close by, end of the day 12 hours later they were lied together, same Saturday. Sunday all so cute I took away her cage and they are running around playing and snuggling.

Every rabbit is different I’m lucky to have two chilled out rabbits but honestly if your reading this don’t be put off by all the complex bonding routines and schedules if I’d followed those rather than let them tell me what they were comfortable with I’d still be in phase 1 !

Back