• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybun know what kind of triffid this is please?

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
This is the humongous triffid thing that Lillian kept eating in the garden. The fronds or leaves must have been a good 2 feet in length before they got chopped. As you can see it's a bulby thing and wife had to dig pretty deep to get it out. As it's a bulb I assume it's not good for bunnies so I'm wondering if this is whatwas causing Lillians spasms and urinary issues. Any Alan (or Alana) Titchmarshes out there who can advise me please?
0Hkyr8p.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it's some sort of Lily. My guess would be an Arum Lily. What do the flowers look like? I think all parts of it will be poisonous :(

The leaves look like day lillies but the flowers of our day lillies are orange not pink.

I hope your bunny rabbit will be ok.

I used a plant identification app so dont know the plant myself.

But it reads as if it has harmful alkaloids in the leaves. But I'm not sure what affect that has on buns.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I used a plant identification app so dont know the plant myself.

But it reads as if it has harmful alkaloids in the leaves. But I'm not sure what affect that has on buns.

Lily leaves are known to cause kidney damage in cats, not sure about buns but it wouldn't be such a big leap of imagination that it could be the same for rabbits.

You can get pink day lillies and there's also Nerines? Could it be those? They flower in Autumn.
0337183b95babfde16a84a5bffaf2dd9.jpg
791fe777f9110cf22471045cb0bbbf47.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

We have the nerines and they don't seem as chunky as the bulbs I the photo but ours are quite young.

Might be worth asking your vet to check toxic lists they have to see if there's anything documented for buns.

Our patio is full of Spurge plants which have yucky caustic stuff in so no bun access to garden at all.

I don't know the plant, but doing a bit of searching around all parts are toxic. The leaves contain alkaloids as CarelessSquid07 said.

It's very likely impossible to determine what effect, short or long term, if any, eating the leaves has had on Lillian, but I would mention it to your vet next time you see her. The full name of the plant is crinum x powellii i.e. it's a crinum cross. It's called a Lily, but in fact it's a member of the Amaryllis family.

As a general rule of thumb, all plants which grow from a bulb are toxic for rabbits (and most other pets).

Are there other suspicious plants in the garden, which Lillian has been eating?

I don't know the plant, but doing a bit of searching around all parts are toxic. The leaves contain alkaloids as CarelessSquid07 said.

It's very likely impossible to determine what effect, short or long term, if any, eating the leaves has had on Lillian, but I would mention it to your vet next time you see her. The full name of the plant is crinum x powellii i.e. it's a crinum cross. It's called a Lily, but in fact it's a member of the Amaryllis family.

As a general rule of thumb, all plants which grow from a bulb are toxic for rabbits (and most other pets).

Are there other suspicious plants in the garden, which Lillian has been eating?

Thanks Omi. No the other triffids as far as I know are ok. I’m just trying to piece together any possible sequences or triggers that have caused these spasm episodes and urinary issues. So anything that might effect kidneys could be a culprit abd ive caught Lillian eating the leaves. Having removed the offending plant then I’m hoping to eliminate one possible.
Thank you so much for your help. It’s so very much appreciated.

It does look like shes eaten quite a lot! [emoji44] I agree with the others anything bulb like isn't good for a bun. You'd think they'd know what's taxicab avoid them. [emoji848] definitely mention it to the vet and see what they say. Hopefully this will solve her issues now you've removed the offending plant

It does look like shes eaten quite a lot! [emoji44] I agree with the others anything bulb like isn't good for a bun. You'd think they'd know what's taxicab avoid them. [emoji848] definitely mention it to the vet and see what they say. Hopefully this will solve her issues now you've removed the offending plant

Oh she didnt eat all that! She nibbled a leaf as she went by on garden time but never great chunks. No the wife chopped all the frondly leafy things off before digging the brute out. Now it’s just in water til jan finds time to dig it into the front garden and it can grow wild there.

Oh she didnt eat all that! She nibbled a leaf as she went by on garden time but never great chunks. No the wife chopped all the frondly leafy things off before digging the brute out. Now it’s just in water til jan finds time to dig it into the front garden and it can grow wild there.
Thank god. I was thinking thats one hungry bunny! [emoji1787] although I hate seen food go in very quickly when a bun wants to. It always amazes me.

Back