• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another trip to the emergency vet...

I've had to take Fudgie to the vet this evening. She was perfectly fine this morning but then became unusually quiet in the afternoon. I started to get that familiar dread feeling in my stomach that something wasn't right but decided to monitor for the time being.

Then she started to look uncomfortable. Shifting around quite a bit and sitting in unusual positions. She hadn't eaten or pooed since around 11am this morning and wasn't interested in any food offered so by around 5 this evening I knew she needed to see a vet.

Fortunately I was allowed to be present for the consultation. Thankfully her blood glucose was normal, but no gut sounds and her temperature was on the low side. Reassuringly, she was pretty feisty during the consult. At one point she took a flying leap at my head! She landed half on my face and half on my shoulder. For one awful moment I thought she was going to overshoot and crash onto the floor!

Anyway, the vet kickstarted the meds and I started her on the syringe feeds as soon as we got home. She then went straight into the litter tray and started eating some hay. She's been back a couple of times since. I'm not 100% sure if she's pooed yet and although she is eating, it's not with her usual gusto. However her demeanour is much better and she's more like her normal self and doesn't look uncomfortable anymore. I don't think she's firing on all cylinders yet so I'm planning on giving her another feed around midnight before I go to bed and then I'll get up early in the morning to see how she's doing.

Awww poor Fudgie. It sounds like your prompt action has her back on track. Is Snoops being nice to her? No hostage taking or anything

Fudgie is lucky you were so observant so she got prompt care.
Sending vibes she will gift you with lots of poo and eating by morning.

Hope the Vet gave you some prokinetics and analgesia to give at home until she is 100% back to normal. Sending lots of vibes for her :love:

Poor fudgie - but absolutely fantastic of you to trust your instincts, 6th sense and your deep understanding of fudgies body language. Your rapid actions certainly gave fudgie the maximum chance to benefit from prompt treatment.
Sending loads of vibes for fudgie and I hope she’s had a comfortable night and is pooping better this morning. Well done SLH on your observations. Xx

Thanks so much everyone. When I checked on her this morning she was in the litter tray and eating hay. Although she still doesn't seem to be eating as much of it as she normally does. There are some smaller poos mixed in with a bit of a splat which I'm assuming are hers.

So it looks like she's getting there but not 100% just yet. So I'm continuing with the metacam and gut meds the vet gave me. I'll also do top up syringe feeds, but at a reduced frequency. Judging by the splat I think she'll benefit from the extra fibre boost.

J&B, Snoopy has been absolutely fine with her and they've been snuggling together, which is nice. There's only ever an issue when he has to go to the vet!

Thanks both. She seems to be continuing to improve. She's eating more hay and has definitely pooed. She's been pretty active this morning and is back to bossing me and Snoopy around.

Back