• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Been told he doesn't have long!

Hi,
I'm at a lost, my vet has told me my Dutch rabbit (Scrooge) doesn't have long. A bit of background; Scrooge is soon to be 3 yes old, he was part of a bonded pair (his brother, Marley. Who very sadly passed away last year).
Marley always looked like he was struggling to breathe, I was assured by my vets that he breathing was normal. But in the last few weeks of his life he held he head high, stopped playing, eating and ended up with hypothermia and died.
Fast forward 12 months. Scrooge who is normally grumpy doesn't like being touch has started to want to stroked, in the past few days has started to lick all of us in turn. He is grooming a lot as well. He has stopped running up and down the garden binking with joy an just sits ears flat breathing faster and nostrils flaring ... On Saturday his head was slightly raised so learning from Marley we went to the vets. She can hear crackling on his chest and told me he won't last the weekend, here we are Tuesday and I'm sitting outside with him (washing all over not one place) and nibbling grass, he is very jumpy though (he is eating more now he had an injection to kick start his stomach). Is he dying? Some times I think yes other times I'm not sure. The vet has given me furasol for 30 days and said I may not need it all ... What can make a rabbit have a total change in personality and there is no denying the faster heavier breathing. Anyone got any experiences or advice??? He is an outdoor rabbit but she has said he needs to be inside ... He is in his fully winter fur! I've had to turn the heating off ... Which of course I don't mind. I want to know what is best for Scrooge 💞🐇

Hi,
I'm at a lost, my vet has told me my Dutch rabbit (Scrooge) doesn't have long. A bit of background; Scrooge is soon to be 3 yes old, he was part of a bonded pair (his brother, Marley. Who very sadly passed away last year).
Marley always looked like he was struggling to breathe, I was assured by my vets that he breathing was normal. But in the last few weeks of his life he held he head high, stopped playing, eating and ended up with hypothermia and died.
Fast forward 12 months. Scrooge who is normally grumpy doesn't like being touch has started to want to stroked, in the past few days has started to lick all of us in turn. He is grooming a lot as well. He has stopped running up and down the garden binking with joy an just sits ears flat breathing faster and nostrils flaring ... On Saturday his head was slightly raised so learning from Marley we went to the vets. She can hear crackling on his chest and told me he won't last the weekend, here we are Tuesday and I'm sitting outside with him (washing all over not one place) and nibbling grass, he is very jumpy though (he is eating more now he had an injection to kick start his stomach). Is he dying? Some times I think yes other times I'm not sure. The vet has given me furasol for 30 days and said I may not need it all ... What can make a rabbit have a total change in personality and there is no denying the faster heavier breathing. Anyone got any experiences or advice??? He is an outdoor rabbit but she has said he needs to be inside ... He is in his fully winter fur! I've had to turn the heating off ... Which of course I don't mind. I want to know what is best for Scrooge 💞🐇

I am sorry that your Rabbit is so sick. It would be better for him to be indoors, so he is not alone as much as anything.

Did the Vet not offer any diagnostics ? His symptoms may be due to a lung infection or heart disease. Both of which are obviously serious, but there are treatment options that, IMO, should be attempted. Surely the Vet did not send you away with nothing ?

I agree with above. It doesn't sound very good practice for a vet to say a patient won't last over the weekend etc, if you search your location and vets you may find some good rabbit savvy vet suggestions. Has he had an X ray to check his heart and lungs? Is furosol the only medication you've been given? I hope he improves, you obviously care a lot for him and maybe give the vets a ring if he's not any better he might need more supportive treatment such as fluids, antibiotics if he hasn't had any tests done.

I agree with above. It doesn't sound very good practice for a vet to say a patient won't last over the weekend etc, if you search your location and vets you may find some good rabbit savvy vet suggestions. Has he had an X ray to check his heart and lungs? Is furosol the only medication you've been given? I hope he improves, you obviously care a lot for him and maybe give the vets a ring if he's not any better he might need more supportive treatment such as fluids, antibiotics if he hasn't had any tests done.

She said that as he is breathing hard there is very little she can do. X-ray was rules out as she believes that he won't wake up from the sedation. She called back today, I said he isn't passing urine as much as normal and given that he is on maximim dose for his weight of furasol I'd expect lots of puddles. Was told he might be in kidney failure (this is a rabbit that had to have a stop check every other day because he loved marking his hutch entrance we urine) ... Educated guess. She said to test his kidneys would put him under unnecessary stress.
Today he has been running around the garden eating a little grass a glimpse of his form self, must have been too much he is resting under the table now. I can see he is breathing heavy (reminds me of my dad, final stage emphysema). As his temperature is on the lower side of normal I am assuming she has ruled out an infection.
I'm thinking I should get a second opinion?? It's the total 360 in personality that confuses me. A biting grumpy rabbit (hence the name) to one that likes his tummy rubbed 💕

I'm so sorry :(

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet? I see you're in Leicester - Chine House in Sileby are RWAF gold-standard vets and, depending on which part of Leicester you're in, there may be silver standard vets within travelling distance too.

She said that as he is breathing hard there is very little she can do. X-ray was rules out as she believes that he won't wake up from the sedation. She called back today, I said he isn't passing urine as much as normal and given that he is on maximim dose for his weight of furasol I'd expect lots of puddles. Was told he might be in kidney failure (this is a rabbit that had to have a stop check every other day because he loved marking his hutch entrance we urine) ... Educated guess. She said to test his kidneys would put him under unnecessary stress.
Today he has been running around the garden eating a little grass a glimpse of his form self, must have been too much he is resting under the table now. I can see he is breathing heavy (reminds me of my dad, final stage emphysema). As his temperature is on the lower side of normal I am assuming she has ruled out an infection.
I'm thinking I should get a second opinion?? It's the total 360 in personality that confuses me. A biting grumpy rabbit (hence the name) to one that likes his tummy rubbed 💕

I would be seeking a second opinion pdq

Bless him, I would also consider going elsewhere. In the past when I've had small animals very poorly with breathing the vets have done a conscious X ray, or when I had a rabbit with heart failure his check ups were done conscious. If he's feeling lethargic etc that may be way he's suddenly changed personality. I hope Scrooge will be ok

I would get a second opinion ASAP. I don't really understand how the vet can say he might not live through the weekend without diagnosing anything specific. It might be something that can be treated, but you won't know without a second opinion. Even if it's not, I'm surprised your vet didn't discuss PTS with you, I understand it's not a nice conversation to have but if the vet honestly thinks Scrooge is seriously ill they should've discussed that with you. I hope you get some answers and sending love and hugs to Scrooge.

Back