• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC info

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
I've been reading up on all the common ailments in rabbits (medically trained, I always like to know as much as possible about common problems preferably before I meet them) and the current one is EC. I'm just curious as to whether it is always a dramatic presentation, or can it be really subtle? I read in a few places that they would diagnose by testing twice a month apart to check for an increase but this seems a long time to wait in a crisis, so are there times when it is not as obvious, can you get very mild symptoms, a very slight head tilt, a very slight lameness, a change in litter training, something just not right?
I have asked this elsewhere and one lady said her rabbit had died after an EC diagnosis, but she noted in retrospect that the rabbit had been peeing in the shed on the floor having been entirely littertrained previously, but she'd put it down to other things, changes in environment etc. But now she wonders if that was a mild symptom affecting the kidneys.
Any thoughts?
My vet is well used to me turning up with a hunch because something feels off, and I've always been right so thankfully he listens, but I'd like to be better prepared for this eventuality with the rabbits given how vulnerable they are and how well they tend to hide problems.

It can have a subtle presentation, maybe loss of litter tray training, unexplained weightloss, recurrent gut stasis. Many Rabbits will have been exposed to EC, some will never develop clinical symptoms at all.

There is a more up to date diagnostic test now

http://cpl.med.miami.edu/avian-and-wildlife/ecun/

Thanks. I'd found that article in the sticky post but hadn't realised it's implications.
So in those rabbits who have mild symptoms, do they continue with mild symptoms or would it suddenly escalate? Can there be rabbits that just show it mildly for a long time but that's it? It seems a tricky thing to deal with, as some rabbits will test positive without symptoms etc.

Back