• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit pooping more than normal

We have a 7 month old female rabbit. Up until a few days ago, the volume of her poop seemed to be quite steady. Now she has started pooping A LOT more than usual... she’s still using her cage as her toilet, and the poops are healthy, but the quantity seems close to triple that of what it used to be. We have recently changed her hay from the stuff you could buy in Tesco to a brand called “Friendly ReadiGrass” as we realised that Tesco hay can be low in quality. Is this increased volume of poop something to be concerned about, or is it normal? She’s still playful, friendly and regularly binkying and performing crazy zoomies around the house

If your rabbit is happy and is eating a lot of hay and the poops are completely normal I would just be happy for all the poops:D
Perhaps is she is eating more (and because of that pooping more) if she likes the new hay better?

It sounds like your bunny is very happy about the change. Many people consider readigrass too rich to feed as a total replacement to hay but instead use as a hay topper or treat.

You & your bunny are right though - hay from supermarkets & pet shops tends not to be tasty. Loads of people on here buy hay from timothyhay.co.uk & haybox. Both are amazing quality & decent prices per kilo

Your bunny sounds good fun. I hope you stick round & show her off

I agree with the advice already given. My rabbits much prefer hay I order them from haybox, there’s hardly any waste and they eat lots of it!

It will be the Readigrass which is much richer than hay that is causing more poohs. Haybox is very very popular with rabbit folk and just use Readigrass as a treat.

Back