• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Hay go stale?

joepatr

New Kit
Hi all

This might be a stupid question, but does meadow hay (that is eaten by my rabbits) go stale if it’s left out?

The reason I ask, is that I currently buy bags of hay from shops like Wilko. Over time this can get quite costly & also I’m trying to cut back on the plastic that I’m using.

The hay that I buy I always roll the top of the bag down and peg it shut, but I’d quite like to buy a bale of hay from a local country store which will work out much cheaper. I’d store it outside in the shed and bring in a decent amount to put in my indoor rabbit box every week or so to allow me to top up his hay as required.

Hay should last at least a year if it is stored correctly - that's what it was designed for. It should be kept cool and dry and allowed to breathe. A standard 2 string bale will fit in a 240 litre wheely bin in a shady spot. You can also store it in eg a duvet cover in a shed or garage, as long as it is off the floor (eg on bricks or a wooden pallet). If it gets damp, it will go mouldy and be no good. Baled hay from a place that supplies horse hay will probably be much better quality than bagged, shop bought hay, and definitely cheaper.

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I have a table in one of my sheds so it would be kept off the ground. Didn’t think of storing it in a breathable bedsheet - was just going to split it & put into bin bags.

So you’re saying it should be okay as long as I keep it free from mould?

Thanks

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I have a table in one of my sheds so it would be kept off the ground. Didn’t think of storing it in a breathable bedsheet - was just going to split it & put into bin bags.

So you’re saying it should be okay as long as I keep it free from mould?

Thanks

If you put it in bin bags it will be more likely to go mouldy

Hessian sacks are better, or store bales of hay on wooden slated pallets :)

Plastic mean the hay 'sweats', so something breathable is better. It doesn't go stale as such, it might lose some taste but mine lasts in a damp garage alright, 6-9mths (the longest mine take to go through a big farm/equestrian bale). I keep mine on racking just in its bale form so all sides are open to the air.

Back