• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to sell hutch but urine scale putting people off - how to clean it?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Hello! I'm trying to sell my rabbits old hutch but when I bought it I had the smart idea of painting all the floors white, which now means that the urine scale that's built up over the last couple of years stands out loads and looks horrendous. It's a shame because apart from the stains the hutch is in excellent condition, it's always been raised off the ground and had a cover on it and they're not chewed it as much as I thought they would. I've advertised the hutch on facebook marketplace using the stock photo (but did very clearly state it is in used condition) and had an absolute ton of interest but now I've gotten some actual pictures and sent them out, people aren't interested anymore :lol: I've left vinegar on the stains for ages, gone at them with a metal scraping tool, a solid wire brush, it's not coming off! Any other ideas? I did consider trying to sand the stains down and paint over the top but I really don't have the time

Let's see the stain [emoji38] hard to know without seeing it

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm a bit embarrassed, it looks disgusting! This is what happens when you have rabbits that eat a lot of high-calcium veg and like to sit in their litter tray and then aim over the edge of it :roll:! Unfortunately I used a bedding for a while that was more draining than absorbing, made it lovely and dry at the top for the rabbits but all the wee just ran to the bottom and sat on the hutch floor. Newspaper and puppy pads would just get torn up so I gave up trying to protect the floors. The hutch was always regularly scrubbed and disinfected, the stains don't even smell but I obviously didn't try hard enough early on before it built up

125373461_289072155752964_7707948047396097234_n.jpg

There a cruelty free product (sold in most supermarkets & places that sell household products) called Pink Stuff - normally a quid.Its really good. I reckon that might do it with a fair amount of elbow grease

There a cruelty free product (sold in most supermarkets & places that sell household products) called Pink Stuff - normally a quid.Its really good. I reckon that might do it with a fair amount of elbow grease

Thanks I have some of that (amazing stuff) and I know it's quite abrasive but I didn't think it would be strong enough for this especially if soaking the scale in vinegar for an hour didn't budge it. I might try sand it down as much as I can then give the pink stuff a go

How about painting it again?

I think I might have to as a last resort but I don't have any left so would have to buy some more and I think it'll take quite a few coats! It doesn't help that it's pitch black by the time I finish work and my days off always coincide with torrential rain :?

I would steam clean it, let it dry out, then sand it and stick vynil floor onto it.

If pink stuff etc. doesn't work, give it a good sand with really harsh sandpaper (60-80 grit), wipe down with vinegar, then paint or lino. Sanding that harsh will give an excellent key for the paint or glue.

Well it looked an absolute ton better this morning once it had dried, it was a pale cream colour instead of looking like a dark brown poop stain. I borrowed an electric sander from my grandparents which didn't budge it even with a high grit, but luckily they had some incredibly thick gloss paint which has completely covered it, look at the difference!

125543662_2432379137064929_4603077735750815268_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back