• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered male with unspayed female?

Rossm95

New Kit
I have a 6 month old male who’s now 8 weeks post-neuter. I’m due to collect a 10 week old female rabbit on Monday and would like to bond them ASAP. Obviously she isn’t spayed yet, however i will be getting her done once she is 6 month old. Am I being too optimistic hoping for this pairing to work, or is it likely to result in fighting because she’s not been spayed yet? I’d like to avoid having to keep them separate because I don’t want to minimise their space at all.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

This sort of pairing often works extremely well. I have a male and female bonded pair, where at the time of bonding the male was 7 years old and neutered and the female 12 weeks and unspayed. They live outside and after about 12 hours where they had been separated in his accommodation, which had been split, I put them together. There was the usual chasing and attempts to hump by the male, but absolutely no aggression. They remained together from that time and are happily bonded.

The female came from a rescue, who advised that this sort of pairing usually goes well.

Thanks so much for your reply.

What would you recommend doing RE the spaying of the female? If the two are bonded well already, should I take my male to the vets with her to avoid the need for re-bonding? Or is it likely I’ll have to re-bond after she’s been spayed anyway?

You could take your boy with her, ask your Vets about that, but, if not, it should be fine to put her straight back with him when she comes home. Having him with her aids the recovery. Just monitor them for a short time when you put them together to make sure he has accepted her back. If they are outside you might have to bring them both indoors for a short time so as to keep an eye on her.

Thanks so much for your reply.

What would you recommend doing RE the spaying of the female? If the two are bonded well already, should I take my male to the vets with her to avoid the need for re-bonding? Or is it likely I’ll have to re-bond after she’s been spayed anyway?

This is what I did and I didn't have to re-bond. It's reassurance for the female as well.

Back