• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Get Amber a Friend?nov 29 Zorro

Today I returned to store to get my supplies which were still not in stock. I was prepared to leave empty handed when I saw the Ambers brother being chased by another male and he was terrified. Even from 2.5 meters away I noticed how scruffy the fur was over both his hips. When I got closer I saw his fur was chewed short/pulled and he had scabs from multiple bites on both sides. Without asking permission I picked him up and carried him to the owner to show he was bullied. I was supprised by her lack of concern since this store dedicates a section as a satellite for SPCA. After several minutes of me expressing concern as I held back tears she took him from me and put him in a cage that must have had a different animal recently.
She told me he is alone so he could not be bullied and he will be ok as I continued to want more done. She went to other customers as I stood practically in tears.

When she finished with her customer I told her I had to take him even if I may not be able to keep him long term. She threw it in my face that I said a couple days ago that I did not have space and she would rather wait for him to find a good permanent home now. I explained that neither are neutered and it may be a long time before thee two can be bonded. That is when she put this bunny boy in a carrier, handed him to me and said I was all set. She recommended otc abx ointment. No paperwork- no paper trail.

I called vet and waiting to hear what I should do for his wounds. Also hoping to get neuter scheduled soon so he will not need to be in temporary housing too long.

I will order supplies elsewhere.

I bought Dara for similar reasons. I have no regrets :love:

I hope the new Bunny settles in well.

Amber and Arfor maybe, ‘ Arfor’ Rabbit ( R for Rabbit) :lol:

I bought Dara for similar reasons. I have no regrets :love:

I hope the new Bunny settles in well.

Amber and Arfor maybe, ‘ Arfor’ Rabbit ( R for Rabbit) :lol:
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I gave him a spot to hide by using the towel I put on my lap when holding Amber so he had a familiar smell. He drank a good amount of water and ate his pellets. He was eating some hay too. Poo looks good.
He has a lot of bites on his sides where fur is chewed. He did not have them on Thursday. They have scabs so they did not just happen and staff should have addressed it before I arrived today.

QUESTION what ,if anything should I put on his scabs/sores? I checked them and decided to do nothing because he may lick it.
Amber and her brother-Zorro maybe since he has dark fur over one eye- had a brief sd meet this evening.

I keep thinking he would not have been bullied and injured if he came home with me sooner and did not have to spend five more days in overcrowded conditions. He may have to wait for better accomodations with Amber, yet he will get plenty of love and will never be bullied again.

That poor little one :cry: Thank goodness you were there at that time and he is now safe.

Thank you for your kind response. It was very emotional for me to see, so it had to be awful for this wee boy. Spouse and I see him eating/drinking before he runs to his covered corner, yet he sat nicely on my lap when I checked his wounds and gave him head pets.

Last edited:
It was meant to be! I’m glad you rescued him :love:
Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. He is such a nice bunny, and I hope his traumatic experience will not leave emotional scares. My mini rex-Heidi has been with us for years and she is still skittish at times.

I'm so pleased that you went back, I was hoping you would :) yes fate definitely played a hand there, and now he is safe bless him, give him a little nose rub from me xx

Today I returned to store to get my supplies which were still not in stock. I was prepared to leave empty handed when I saw the Ambers brother being chased by another male and he was terrified. Even from 2.5 meters away I noticed how scruffy the fur was over both his hips. When I got closer I saw his fur was chewed short/pulled and he had scabs from multiple bites on both sides. Without asking permission I picked him up and carried him to the owner to show he was bullied. I was supprised by her lack of concern since this store dedicates a section as a satellite for SPCA. After several minutes of me expressing concern as I held back tears she took him from me and put him in a cage that must have had a different animal recently.
She told me he is alone so he could not be bullied and he will be ok as I continued to want more done. She went to other customers as I stood practically in tears.

When she finished with her customer I told her I had to take him even if I may not be able to keep him long term. She threw it in my face that I said a couple days ago that I did not have space and she would rather wait for him to find a good permanent home now. I explained that neither are neutered and it may be a long time before thee two can be bonded. That is when she put this bunny boy in a carrier, handed him to me and said I was all set. She recommended otc abx ointment. No paperwork- no paper trail.

I called vet and waiting to hear what I should do for his wounds. Also hoping to get neuter scheduled soon so he will not need to be in temporary housing too long.

I will order supplies elsewhere.

sounds like an awful shop. so glad he is safe now. :love: xxx

I'm so pleased that you went back, I was hoping you would :) yes fate definitely played a hand there, and now he is safe bless him, give him a little nose rub from me xx
Thank you.
I cannot save them all, yet I know I made a difference in his life when he needed me.
As a child, I was bullied for years by schoolmates , so I empathise with him.
I only wish I got him sooner.

He will enjoy your nose rub.

I would not put anything on the scabs. If some wounds are still open then bathing them with warm sterile saline is what I would do. I'd also check for any signs of abscess formation, as you know bite wounds can easily cause abscesses. Especially puncture type wounds . It may help to trim the fur away from the wounds, the more air that gets to the sore areas the better.

I am in tears because I felt he was right for you. They will be happy to be near one another as they are family until he can be neutered. :love: better late than never!

sounds like an awful shop. so glad he is safe now. :love: xxx

Thank you Mike. It is times like these when people show their true colors. I was ready to loose control-not sure if that would be melting to the floor in tears, or :censored. This bunny helped me hold it together so he could be safe, so he helped me rescue him.

I would not put anything on the scabs. If some wounds are still open then bathing them with warm sterile saline is what I would do. I'd also check for any signs of abscess formation, as you know bite wounds can easily cause abscesses. Especially puncture type wounds . It may help to trim the fur away from the wounds, the more air that gets to the sore areas the better.

Thank you for your prompt response. :love:Nothing is open from what I can see, though he may have some bruising. There are many bites on each side. I will trim any remaining fur and check him regularly for redness or hot spots.

I am in tears because I felt he was right for you. They will be happy to be near one another as they are family until he can be neutered. :love: better late than never!

I appreciate your saying they can be happy near each other-though Amber had concern on her face when I walked away with her bags of hay and pellets.:D She normally does a happy dance.

Back