• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Get Amber a Friend?nov 29 Zorro

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Today I returned to the pet supply shop to get more hay-shelves were empty-and I saw a lionhead that may be Amber's brother. I got her three weeks ago from the same source and he looks like the boy that I saw then. His plums are showing so he would need a neuter and time before he could be bonded with Amber.
They agreed to hold him until saturday.

I am torn. I would like Amber to have a friend, and the boy I saw today to get a good home. Yet I am concerned about promoting breeding:worried they cannot be together until several weeks after his neuter, and I would not have enough space if the bond was not successful.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Today I returned to the pet supply shop to get more hay-shelves were empty-and I saw a lionhead that may be Amber's brother. I got her three weeks ago from the same source and he looks like the boy that I saw then. His plums are showing so he would need a neuter and time before he could be bonded with Amber.
They agreed to hold him until saturday.

I am torn. I would like Amber to have a friend, and the boy I saw today to get a good home. Yet I am concerned about promoting breeding:worried they cannot be together until several weeks after his neuter, and I would not have enough space if the bond was not successful.

Thoughts?

My eyesight is rubbish, this reply will be bullet points

1 Have done so myself but buying from a Pet Store is supporting the trade of live animals, something that should be stopped- yes I am a hypocrite

2 It will be several weeks before Buck could meet Amber. Where would you keep him in meantime ?

3 Will your Vet be carrying out routine procedures if there is another Lock Down in your Area ?

4 Longterm- What if Amber and the Buck hate each other

Apologies for tone of post , good luck with your decision :)

Last edited:
If they are brother and sister, she should recognise him, by smell. I think this sounds a really good idea (I know) but we all know our Bunnies love a friend. Brother/sister pairs are usually very happy.

I agree with the sentiments of not supporting breeding, but this little bunny still needs a home. I'm sure Amber would love a little friend, but it's your decision, and you have wisely given yourself time to weigh up all the pros and cons. Good luck xx

a really difficult decision but I would err on the side of not supporting breeding. there are plenty of buns that need rehoming rather than buying from a shop & you can't buy them all.
you may feel guilty at first but I think that feeling would fade & if you got him you may feel guilty long term (??)
just my personal opinion.

If they are brother and sister, she should recognise him, by smell. I think this sounds a really good idea (I know) but we all know our Bunnies love a friend. Brother/sister pairs are usually very happy.

I think all bunnies deserve a good home and you have found a possible friend for Amber. I know that buying from pet shops is a contentious subject and I have not done it myself but I have rehomed piggies and bunnies from the PAH adoption bit and one of them was 'old stock' so it was more or less the same. Once I see a bunny or piggy like you describe if I didn't rehome him or her I would continually wonder what had happened to them. I try to avoid looking at the animals for sale in pet shops for that very reason although last time I was in PAH they didn't have any bunnies or piggies for sale and nothing in the adoption part either.

My current two bunnies came from a local rescue. It's the first time I have used them and I never would again. The bunnies weren't vaccinated or neutered and she was charging a lot of money for them - the same as reputable rescues like BARC and ARC do but their fee includes the vaccinations and neutering. The sensible thing would have been to walk away when I found out her policies but by then I had chosen two buns, held them and named them in my head. I may get slated here for doing so but I continued with the sale but will never go back there.

I can understand why rescues get so frustrated when they are over-run with animals and they read about people going to breeders/pet shops/disreputable rescues.

I think you have to go with what feels 'right' for you.

Personally I wouldn’t support the pet trade. Of course all animals deserve a good home, but if by doing so we are adding to a monumental problem and supporting a terribly cruel trade, there will never be any change.

I think you've got to go with your gut on this one :)

Does anyone else find rescues a bit scary..? [emoji38] I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a real range, some are great and some are really dodgy.. I'm always trying to figure out where they fall on the scale. Idk it just never feels straight forward to me [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Does anyone else find rescues a bit scary..? [emoji38] I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a real range, some are great and some are really dodgy.. I'm always trying to figure out where they fall on the scale. Idk it just never feels straight forward to me [emoji51]

As someone heavily involved in rescue, I’m a bit worried to see that you find us scary! As long as the housing meets requirements, animals in the home are already neutered or owners are willing to do so etc, I think that our rehoming process is very straight forward :)

Definitely, yes. My local Rescue is not like that at all, but I have encountered some who made me wonder if they actually wanted to rehome any Rabbit at all. A minority were just plain rude.

As someone heavily involved in rescue, I’m a bit worried to see that you find us scary! As long as the housing meets requirements, animals in the home are already neutered or owners are willing to do so etc, I think that our rehoming process is very straight forward :)

I think it's that anyone seems to be able to call themselves a rescue maybe? Or its very easy to do so. So you might think you're dealing with a 'proper' rescue but actually you aren't, if that makes sense [emoji38] I'm always a little skeptical, it seems to be a whole world where everyone knows each other kinda thing too.

But yea Idk I find the whole world a bit intimidating! Can't quite put in to words why though [emoji38]

I did speak to fat fluffs years back though and they were really nice, so in the future I'd probably be likely to contact them just based on how lovely I thought they were the first time [emoji38]

Definitely, yes. My local Rescue is not like that at all, but I have encountered some who made me wonder if they actually wanted to rehome any Rabbit at all. A minority were just plain rude.
Yes! Maybe it just depends who you get etc. I find the whole thing off-putting though. I don't think I'm the best rabbit owner ever, but I try my best, and I always make sure any animal under my care receives "the best" care I can get them, I'm not afraid to fix things, however ridiculous they might seem either, but Idk I still feel like I wouldn't be considered good enough /haven't been [emoji51] but then I wonder who is? [emoji38]

The store operates a rescue for cats and dogs, yet I wonder why the sell bunnies and other small pets still. When I got Amber they had her brothers/sisters and a small black bunny.
Yesterday they had her two brothers plus two more groups. I used to get supplies from a local store that closed when the owner died because they did not sell animals.
I was looking for a rescue and the two rescues that I used in the past closed, and the spca has not had any small breeds since I was searching.

You all said things I am thinking. Pet trade bad, brother sister makes good bond, will I be able to get him neutered quickly since he will be in a small area in the middle of my room until he and Amber can bond, what if he fights with my sweet girl and there is no place to keep him, will my girl be lonely or can she be friends with one of my older bunnies-though both are territorial.

When I got Amber my spouse wanted me to get her brother and I said no for two weeks before he stopped suggesting it. Perhaps I should ask myself what I would say if he was the one doing the asking.

Last edited:
Yes! Maybe it just depends who you get etc. I find the whole thing off-putting though. I don't think I'm the best rabbit owner ever, but I try my best, and I always make sure any animal under my care receives "the best" care I can get them, I'm not afraid to fix things, however ridiculous they might seem either, but Idk I still feel like I wouldn't be considered good enough /haven't been [emoji51] but then I wonder who is? [emoji38]

I cannot allow you to put yourself down. Any rescue that would not accept you with open arms should be ashamed of themselves. You are an awesome bunny parent.:love:

I think it's that anyone seems to be able to call themselves a rescue maybe? Or its very easy to do so. So you might think you're dealing with a 'proper' rescue but actually you aren't, if that makes sense [emoji38] I'm always a little skeptical, it seems to be a whole world where everyone knows each other kinda thing too.

But yea Idk I find the whole world a bit intimidating! Can't quite put in to words why though [emoji38]

I did speak to fat fluffs years back though and they were really nice, so in the future I'd probably be likely to contact them just based on how lovely I thought they were the first time [emoji38]

I think it would become apparent very quickly who was a rescue and who was calling themselves a rescue. If someone neuters and vaccinated, offers bonding or at least advises it and advises on how to conduct a bond, offers lifetime back up & asks all the right questions (as well as home checks of course) then chances are they are a rescue. Anything less than that is not - and at worst just a pet peddler. I can’t see any reason that you would think you would be turned down for rehoming a bun, though? It’s mostly right that everyone knows one another, yes - it’s impossible not to and we rely on one another for help :)

When I first saw Amber she made me smile and holding her brought tears to my eyes. I did not feel that way when I held her brother. If he was not her brother, I would not consider getting her a friend until she is a little older and spayed. Then I would hope for a rescue. I still wonder why our rescue, and those I checked 100 miles away too,has cats of every variety/age, many dogs and only a few large bunnies.

I was supposed to pick up more supplies on Saturday (they were getting a delivery of the type of hay I wanted), yet I chose to just call and tell them to take the hold off of Amber's brother instead of going in person. I was afraid if I saw him again I would not be able to come home without him. Now I am hoping that our increase in COVID does not close the shops before I can pick up their favorite variety of hay (I have other hay yet they eat more of some types).
I appreciate everyone's input on this matter and may need some stay strong vibes so I do not waiver.

I was supposed to pick up more supplies on Saturday (they were getting a delivery of the type of hay I wanted), yet I chose to just call and tell them to take the hold off of Amber's brother instead of going in person. I was afraid if I saw him again I would not be able to come home without him. Now I am hoping that our increase in COVID does not close the shops before I can pick up their favorite variety of hay (I have other hay yet they eat more of some types).
I appreciate everyone's input on this matter and may need some stay strong vibes so I do not waiver.

Do what you feel to be right for you :love:

Do what you feel to be right for you :love:

My heart and head are not in agreement on this one. Part of me wonders if he was still available three weeks after I got Amber because fate wanted him to be with her. Then my brain tells me a bond is not assured, especially when they must remain separated until he/she is neutered.

Today I returned to store to get my supplies which were still not in stock. I was prepared to leave empty handed when I saw the Ambers brother being chased by another male and he was terrified. Even from 2.5 meters away I noticed how scruffy the fur was over both his hips. When I got closer I saw his fur was chewed short/pulled and he had scabs from multiple bites on both sides. Without asking permission I picked him up and carried him to the owner to show he was bullied. I was supprised by her lack of concern since this store dedicates a section as a satellite for SPCA. After several minutes of me expressing concern as I held back tears she took him from me and put him in a cage that must have had a different animal recently.
She told me he is alone so he could not be bullied and he will be ok as I continued to want more done. She went to other customers as I stood practically in tears.

When she finished with her customer I told her I had to take him even if I may not be able to keep him long term. She threw it in my face that I said a couple days ago that I did not have space and she would rather wait for him to find a good permanent home now. I explained that neither are neutered and it may be a long time before thee two can be bonded. That is when she put this bunny boy in a carrier, handed him to me and said I was all set. She recommended otc abx ointment. No paperwork- no paper trail.

I called vet and waiting to hear what I should do for his wounds. Also hoping to get neuter scheduled soon so he will not need to be in temporary housing too long.

I will order supplies elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back