• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone around for advice or moral support?

Mine have had a backwards few days each time their space has been expanded, last 3-4 days then they're all good, then we give them more space and off they go again! Only two more big changes to go, but it has taken 8 weeks so far. Make haste slowly :D

Mine have had a backwards few days each time their space has been expanded, last 3-4 days then they're all good, then we give them more space and off they go again! Only two more big changes to go, but it has taken 8 weeks so far. Make haste slowly :D

When you expand their space or put them in anew space, it sometimes means they have to re-establish the hierarchy but should only take a couple of minutes.

When you expand their space or put them in anew space, it sometimes means they have to re-establish the hierarchy but should only take a couple of minutes.

Yeah, it seems to trigger his anxiety and it takes a couple of days to settle, but it's like switching a switch - one day he's humpy, then suddenly back to cuddly, groomy, happy buns again until the next time. We're nearly there. Given that I don't know his history it may be related to that - it very much feels like an anxiety issue, and can settle it with Pet Remedy when we are there anyway.

Taking things slowly is fine with me - I don’t want to take one step forward and two steps back! So I’ll introduce litter trays today but not make any other changes just yet. They are seeming pretty calm still though, except for the pushing and shoving when there are pellets around!

I’m looking for a bit more advice today please!

I gave them the litter trays on Friday and it didn’t really seem to change anything (apart from making it easier for me to keep on top of the mess!), and things have been calm over the weekend. They spend most of their time munching hay or just sitting - often together, but not always. Food (pellets or greens) still leads to some pushing or shoving, and we’re trying different things to try to make sure Phoebe, who is younger and smaller than Benji, gets her fair share. Last night and this morning were fairly successful!

So, I’m not sure what my next steps should be. They’ve been together without any separation since first thing on Wednesday morning - so this is day six. I could put a few more bits in their pen - twigs, toys, maybe a hide? If possible I’d like to get them into their permanent home by the weekend, for practical reasons really (it will be easier to increase their space there, plus easier to interact with them). But I don’t want to rush things either! I can’t easily increase their space where they are now, because it’s an odd-shaped room.

Well rather than introduce more things where they are, I think I would try them outside, possibly from early tomorrow now. It will have been 6 days then with no aggression and in my view that's long enough.

You will soon see whether it's too soon and you will have the option of returning to where they are now. I really can't see another day or so changing how they are where they are tbh.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but I got mine in their permanent (though restricted) home as soon as possible, and then worked on adding things and expanding the space. My thinking is that I'd rather they were comfortable in the space with little "stuff" and had room to move and be comfortable as a priority over having toys and things, and I couldn't expand the space without them being in their permanent area (giants, hard enough to accomodate them at the best of times without creating big enough neutral areas as well!). But I'd probably plan to do it when you can be there as much as possible to monitor them, I slept with mine all weekend just in case.
But there are many more experienced people than me, I shall watch with interest to see other thoughts.

And here is a photo experiment! It took me ages to work it out and I’m not sure if I’ve got it right yet!
W28mG6W

Oh, I’m not seeing anything in the preview so I don’t know if it worked :shock:

Well rather than introduce more things where they are, I think I would try them outside, possibly from early tomorrow now. It will have been 6 days then with no aggression and in my view that's long enough.

You will soon see whether it's too soon and you will have the option of returning to where they are now. I really can't see another day or so changing how they are where they are tbh.

Ok, I like that idea. And tomorrow is a good day for me to keep a close eye on them.

I don't know if I did the right thing, but I got mine in their permanent (though restricted) home as soon as possible, and then worked on adding things and expanding the space. My thinking is that I'd rather they were comfortable in the space with little "stuff" and had room to move and be comfortable as a priority over having toys and things, and I couldn't expand the space without them being in their permanent area (giants, hard enough to accomodate them at the best of times without creating big enough neutral areas as well!). But I'd probably plan to do it when you can be there as much as possible to monitor them, I slept with mine all weekend just in case.
But there are many more experienced people than me, I shall watch with interest to see other thoughts.

Thank you - it’s good to hear that you’ve had success with moving them fairly quickly.

Oh, I think this might work!

This is Phoebe, the day we collected her.

QXA3ZN9_d.jpg

And this is the two of them together, the afternoon of their first day together.

DiuckBf_d.jpg

Aww, what gorgeous bunnies!

I'm glad things are going well with the bonding. [emoji3]

Thank you!

I *think* things are ok. They spent the first 10 or 15 minutes exploring and seeming a bit confused but not unhappy. Since then, there’s been a bit more humping and chasing, but only brief episodes. They don’t seem as settled as they were, but I suppose that’s only to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back