Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone around for advice or moral support?

Warren Scout

Default Anyone around for advice or moral support?

Iím collecting our new rabbit - a wifebun for Benji (hopefully!) in a couple of hours and Iím so nervous! I think Iím at the stage where Iíve read so many conflicting things about bonding that Iíve confused myself. Maybe itís one of those things where you just have to start somewhere and see what happens, but Iím definitely having Ďwhat have I done??í feelings this morning (and last night actually, which didnít help me sleep!)

Iíve got a pen set up in an unheated, quiet room to settle her into when I get her home. My daughter has pointed out that if she settles in there, it will no longer be neutral territory so Iíll have to move it before introducing the two of them - I canít believe I missed that! Iím thinking itís better to leave it til tomorrow to introduce them, so that I can do it early in the morning and, if things go well, might be able to leave them together overnight. Fortunately, I have a quiet few weeks so keeping an eye on them during the day wonít be a problem. Iíve read the blog post in the sticky thread and feel a bit happier about the kinds of behaviours I might see, and what to do about them, and Iím sure I will be here asking lots of questions too.

Hello having her settle overnight and get used to you a little will be a good thing. When I collected Fern from the rescue she was in an outdoor hutch in a big building, so her first night with me was in a spare hutch in a shed so that it was kind of similar to what she was used to. Frosty was an indoor bunny but I picked a room he hadn’t been in much and neutralised it with vinegar/water before setting the bonding pen up. Then we brought Fern inside the following morning, and put them in the pen together.

Here is the thread I had at the time on the bonding http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...towers-is-back!

Good luck

Wise Old Thumper

How exciting

Yes, I would let her settle overnight and then start bonding first thing tomorrow. I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being neutral territory with her in the pen overnight and don't think it will have any impact.

I hope it all goes well.

Warren Scout

Thank you! I needed that encouragement! And thank you for the link to your thread, too. I will have a good read.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    How exciting

Yes, I would let her settle overnight and then start bonding first thing tomorrow. I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being neutral territory with her in the pen overnight and don't think it will have any impact.

I hope it all goes well.
    Thank you! (I cross-posted there). Ah, that’s good to know that you think having her there overnight won’t be a problem. I can move the pen, but it would be easier not to.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveTree View Post
    Thank you! I needed that encouragement! And thank you for the link to your thread, too. I will have a good read.
    The best advice is to remain calm, as the bunnies will pick up on it if you are anxious

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    The best advice is to remain calm, as the bunnies will pick up on it if you are anxious
    Unfortunately, this is not necessarily my strong suit! I will do my best though!

Quote Originally Posted by OliveTree View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not necessarily my strong suit! I will do my best though!
    Nor mine I just pretended to be calm so that the bunnies thought I was

Yep - calm & bunny bonding do not go easily together for me either but I agree its the aim. I honestly did a lot better bonding before I had access to the www & started reading all the (very much contradictory ) advice out there. Its good to have a plan you feel will work for you & your bunnies but using your intuition as you go is just as important. Lots of luck

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Nor mine I just pretended to be calm so that the bunnies thought I was
    well, pretending I can do!