• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone around for advice or moral support?

OliveTree

Warren Scout
I’m collecting our new rabbit - a wifebun for Benji (hopefully!) in a couple of hours and I’m so nervous! I think I’m at the stage where I’ve read so many conflicting things about bonding that I’ve confused myself. Maybe it’s one of those things where you just have to start somewhere and see what happens, but I’m definitely having ‘what have I done??’ feelings this morning (and last night actually, which didn’t help me sleep!)

I’ve got a pen set up in an unheated, quiet room to settle her into when I get her home. My daughter has pointed out that if she settles in there, it will no longer be neutral territory so I’ll have to move it before introducing the two of them - I can’t believe I missed that! I’m thinking it’s better to leave it til tomorrow to introduce them, so that I can do it early in the morning and, if things go well, might be able to leave them together overnight. Fortunately, I have a quiet few weeks so keeping an eye on them during the day won’t be a problem. I’ve read the blog post in the sticky thread and feel a bit happier about the kinds of behaviours I might see, and what to do about them, and I’m sure I will be here asking lots of questions too.

Hello :wave: having her settle overnight and get used to you a little will be a good thing. When I collected Fern from the rescue she was in an outdoor hutch in a big building, so her first night with me was in a spare hutch in a shed so that it was kind of similar to what she was used to. Frosty was an indoor bunny but I picked a room he hadn’t been in much and neutralised it with vinegar/water before setting the bonding pen up. Then we brought Fern inside the following morning, and put them in the pen together.

Here is the thread I had at the time on the bonding http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...cret!-Pic-heavy!U-D-p93-Frosty-towers-is-back!

Good luck :thumb:

How exciting :)

Yes, I would let her settle overnight and then start bonding first thing tomorrow. I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being neutral territory with her in the pen overnight and don't think it will have any impact.

I hope it all goes well.

Thank you! I needed that encouragement! And thank you for the link to your thread, too. I will have a good read.

How exciting :)

Yes, I would let her settle overnight and then start bonding first thing tomorrow. I wouldn't be too concerned about it not being neutral territory with her in the pen overnight and don't think it will have any impact.

I hope it all goes well.

Thank you! (I cross-posted there). Ah, that’s good to know that you think having her there overnight won’t be a problem. I can move the pen, but it would be easier not to.

Yep - calm & bunny bonding do not go easily together for me either but I agree its the aim. I honestly did a lot better bonding before I had access to the www & started reading all the (very much contradictory ) advice out there. Its good to have a plan you feel will work for you & your bunnies but using your intuition as you go is just as important. Lots of luck

Yep - calm & bunny bonding do not go easily together for me either but I agree its the aim. I honestly did a lot better bonding before I had access to the www & started reading all the (very much contradictory ) advice out there. Its good to have a plan you feel will work for you & your bunnies but using your intuition as you go is just as important. Lots of luck

Thank you - and I know what you mean about all the advice out there. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad when you’re a beginner!

Anyway - she is here and she’s very lovely! She’s had one or two pellets and a bit of hay, so hopefully she’ll feel settled soon.

Thank you - and I know what you mean about all the advice out there. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad when you’re a beginner!

Anyway - she is here and she’s very lovely! She’s had one or two pellets and a bit of hay, so hopefully she’ll feel settled soon.
I’m glad she is settling in nicely :love:

Excellent :) First step accomplished :)

Awww I missed this this morning! :( so glad she's there though and started settling in! :D can't wait to see pictures :D :D and good luck :D

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Awww I missed this this morning! :( so glad she's there though and started settling in! :D can't wait to see pictures :D :D and good luck :D

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Pictures... I haven’t worked out how to post photos here. Is there a guide somewhere?

Back