• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Grass ball" chews from amazon?

lucyb2797

New Kit
Hi everyone, I'm new to the rabbit world and purchased a few toys off amazon for my newly adopted girl Layla. One of them was a chew toy with apple sticks and grass balls that are supposedly 100% timothy hay with no additives. The exact same chew seems to be all over amazon, under many different brand names, this is it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Layla seems to love it and has chewed through a lot of the balls already, however I was just looking at them and thinking... they seem far too green to be 100% timothy hay, they also kinda fall apart to dust when nibbled on, and I sniffed one and it smelt kind of sweet, with a subtle apple-like scent.

We tried to take it away from her until we know for sure what's in it but she threw a strop and started thumping, showing us her back and just not engaging with us so my boyfriend convinced me to let him give it back to her.

Does anyone have experience with these treats, are they okay? I'm just so worried about giving her something that might upset her stomach, she's already underweight from previous owner's neglect so I want to make sure she only has healthy stuff.

Thanks,

Lucy

Last edited:
I don't know those treats, but I use a lot of horse treats that are similar - compressed grass blocks and balls like these are not made from hay, they are made from baked grass, so it is fresh grass that is chopped and compressed and then baked to harden. So they do tend to be dusty as they break up and fall apart to not a lot. But they do also smell very sweet, much more like fresh grass than hay does.
They look quite good to me, and if it says it contains nothing else then I'd be surprised if they did.
If she really likes stuff like that then have a look at Silvermoor Swingers for horses - much bigger, but just compressed grass and herbs depending which one you get, I hang one up just above the ground and they can choose to eat it sitting or it encourages them to stretch up and forage higher for a change.

I agree with dollyanna, they seem OK and look similar to similar products elsewhere. The only thing that I noticed on their description is this: "the grass ball epidermis is rich in a variety of natural nutrients such as fruit acid and pectin", which might explain the sweet smell. Additionally a couple of the reviews stated that the product was a bit dry, so maybe it's not as fresh as it could be. However, I can't see that there is anything to get too concerned about.

What I would suggest, if she likes this sort of thing, is to have a look at the site that dollyanna uses. Also this site is often used by forum members https://galensgarden.co.uk/shop/forage-bricks/ Apple sticks also can be obtained via the forum at certain times of the year.

I have no experience with this treat, though offer my general thoughts on treats.
With anything new give small a quantity at first.
Every bunny is different and tolerates treats or food/greens differently.
My bunnies like fibafirst sticks. I also give my one bunny garden stick treats. Both from selective naturals. Yet some on ru will not give garden stick treats.
Enjoy your lovely girl and I hope she thrives.

Back