• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald Spot after Brushing: Is this normal?

hysteria82

New Kit
Hi.

I have a 3 (almost 4) year old Holland lop male (fixed). Twice a year I give him a good brushing and pluck out the easily pull able clumps of fur. For some reason this year there's a big bald spot on his butt (above his tail) after I finished brushing him. I didn't brush him hard and the skin looks pink and healthy, but this has never happened before.

Is this normal during molting/shedding? Will it grow back? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Lisa

Hi.

I have a 3 (almost 4) year old Holland lop male (fixed). Twice a year I give him a good brushing and pluck out the easily pull able clumps of fur. For some reason this year there's a big bald spot on his butt (above his tail) after I finished brushing him. I didn't brush him hard and the skin looks pink and healthy, but this has never happened before.

Is this normal during molting/shedding? Will it grow back? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Lisa
Can't really advise without seeing pictures, BUT my two get this when moulting and I groom them. However the patches are rarely fully bald and often have some new growth in them. In my rabbits' case, it's just the new growth is coming through a little slower than the moulting is happening.

If the skin looks healthy and pink I wouldn't worry too much, but just keep an eye on it? Monitor the rest of their fur and skin and take to vet if more patches appear or new growth doesn't happen in the current bald patch soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back