• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megacolon Research Project

ZoePD

Warren Scout
Good morning!

My name is Zoe Powell-Davies and I am currently in my fourth year of studying Veterinary Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. As part of my course, I am carrying out a research project based on the diagnosis of Megacolon in pet rabbits, which shall run across my fourth and fifth year of university. I aim to collect data around individual cases to produce a database of common features to aid in the understanding of this disease and diagnosis of future cases.Having had a pet rabbit diagnosed with this illness myself, this topic is something that I have a lot of interest in.

I am advertising the participation of this short, voluntary, anonymous survey to anybody in the UK over the age of 16 who has had experience with megacolon in one of their own rabbits. By following the link below, you will be taken to an information sheet which provides much more detail about the aim of the study, the content of the questionnaire, the use of the data and your rights in terms of participation. Clicking on this link does not mean you then have to participate – you can simply close the webpage at any point to withdraw from the study, and no data shall be collected.

I fully appreciate that megacolon may be a sensitive topic for some individuals, and therefore nobody should feel an obligation to participate – this questionnaire is entirely voluntary. If you have any concerns regarding this subject, I would suggest speaking to your vet.

Could I please ask that no personal data or data that may link you to the study is commented on this thread, as this could damage the anonymity of the study.

If you do have any queries, please email me at s1705613@ed.ac.uk and I will be happy to provide more information.

Thank you all in advance! Any participation is hugely appreciated, and I hope that this study will be a useful tool in the future understanding of megacolon in domestic rabbits. The project will run until March 2022, but I hope to be able to post a brief summary of my findings on completion for those of you interested.

https://edinburgh.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/src-patterns-of-megacolon-in-domestic-rabbits

The very best of luck with your studies :D I haven't had a rabbit with megacolon (I consider myself lucky!) so I'm not eligible for this research but I will be posting it everywhere :D

I can't help with the actual survey as I also haven't had a rabbit with the condition.

However, I am aware that Frances Harcourt-Brown at one time was sharing research projects on her website https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/, at one time there was one for floppy rabbit syndrome (though I can't find a page with them at the moment). It might be worth contacting her to see if she would share it on her page.

I'm pleased you finally got the go ahead to start your research Zoe. Best of luck with it. Xx

I can't help with the actual survey as I also haven't had a rabbit with the condition.

However, I am aware that Frances Harcourt-Brown at one time was sharing research projects on her website https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/, at one time there was one for floppy rabbit syndrome (though I can't find a page with them at the moment). It might be worth contacting her to see if she would share it on her page.

The very best of luck with your studies :D I haven't had a rabbit with megacolon (I consider myself lucky!) so I'm not eligible for this research but I will be posting it everywhere :D

Thank you both so much!

Back