• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Limpy rabbit :-(

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Freja's got a poorly back leg :-( She's still wanting to jump around, we don't think it's broken, it's quite a subtle limp (more just not fully weightbearing) but because Odin still has his moments of humpiness and he really grips and squashes her when he does so she's on crate rest and metacam for a couple of days to try and let it rest. Thoroughly unimpressed by it!
On the plus side it gives me chance to feed her up a little bit without Odin getting in on the action - he's looking really good but as she's still growing she needs a bit more.
Just really hoping it doesn't set them back too much, Odin still struggle with any changes making him anxious and therefore humpy again :-/

Freja's got a poorly back leg :-( She's still wanting to jump around, we don't think it's broken, it's quite a subtle limp (more just not fully weightbearing) but because Odin still has his moments of humpiness and he really grips and squashes her when he does so she's on crate rest and metacam for a couple of days to try and let it rest. Thoroughly unimpressed by it!
On the plus side it gives me chance to feed her up a little bit without Odin getting in on the action - he's looking really good but as she's still growing she needs a bit more.
Just really hoping it doesn't set them back too much, Odin still struggle with any changes making him anxious and therefore humpy again :-/
Awwww lots of healing vibes for Freja [emoji173][emoji173] hope she gets better quickly and Odin doesn't grip too hard with the humps [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that Freja has got a poorly leg :( Have you had a look at her paw in case one of the nails is causing some pain? I hope that whatever it is it resolves itself soon. If not, I think I might get a vet to take a look at it to establish the cause.

Sending her lots of vibes.

Yes of course :) No nail trauma, no obvious cause, so rather than knock her out for x-rays we're opting for conservative treatment as she doesn't seem to be bothered by it, she is behaving perfectly normally, and is weightbearing, can go right up on her toes etc. she's just off centre with weight bearing. Keeping a very close eye on it.
I gave them a new hay rack, and have an awful feeling she might have caught her leg in it, so that is now gone :-( Feel like a right idiot, but it's hard trying to imagine what this pair will actually get up to, they are maniacs that jump into everything!

She's much better tonight already :) Weightbearing evenly when sitting and hopping. Just still a bit lacking in power on that side. I let her out for 5mins to clean her crate and let them have a kiss and cuddle, Odin was very polite, and then she went back in for the night. Fingers crossed it'll just improve over the weekend and that will be that!!

I'm really glad to see your update :D Yes, I also hope that it will just be this weekend and then back to normal for them both. It was good that Odin was well-behaved when they had some time together :)

Definitely improving, back leg feeling much stronger and you can feel her engage the muscles properly again, but sadly she needs to be perfect before she can be released so that Odin doesn't just set it off again! He's just a bloomin' pest at times.
She can go all the way up on her tiptoes happily though :)

Back