• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stoat proofing a garden

Tiggertime

Young Bun
I'm not even sure this is possible, but aside from a run, what defences can we put in place to keep our bunnies safe whilst they're out playing?

We have two house rabbits who love the garden, and are given free range when we're in (supervised in the garden). Last night however our neighbour warned us that he'd seen a stoat cross their garden and disappear into ours. They have a 20 year old cat who has probably been a god send in the past patrolling the area around us, and apparently he's caught one in the past, but with his advancing years I don't think he's up to the hunt any more.

We'd like to think this stoat was just passing through not to be seen again, but we need to be vigilant to keep the bunnies safe.

I fear we may have to resort to a run for peace of mind, and we do have one, but I just know they won't be happy in it. They love the freedom to binky and zoom and munch the grass and I want the garden to be theirs.

All I can suggest is a very secure run / aviary with very small mesh on one side to keep out the stoat, and stronger weldmesh on the other to keep out bigger predators. Stoats can get through tiny gaps and are quite ferocious when they want to be. I assume they can climb and dig, so a meshed roof and secure floor would also be needed.

If they are only out under supervision and have access back into the house at all times, it's probably less if an issue than if they were permanently outside.

Can you set up some wildlife cameras to see how much of a problem it is?

All I can suggest is a very secure run / aviary with very small mesh on one side to keep out the stoat, and stronger weldmesh on the other to keep out bigger predators. Stoats can get through tiny gaps and are quite ferocious when they want to be. I assume they can climb and dig, so a meshed roof and secure floor would also be needed.

If they are only out under supervision and have access back into the house at all times, it's probably less if an issue than if they were permanently outside.

Can you set up some wildlife cameras to see how much of a problem it is?

It's crossed my mind - would have to source a couple first though.

Our lass thinks we should try traps - tad concerned about our very curious little bunnies there though.

Last edited:
Back