• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mid bonding help!

Bumblebea

New Kit
Hi

Can i have some advice on positive bonding behaviour please, I'm mid bonding my neutered/spayed buns. They're pretty chilled eating hay etc but pretty much ignoring each other. My male rabbit tries to hump the female and she runs away but doesn't fight back or anything and he tends to stop when she runs off. They are both flopping out and grooming but not next to each other. The female will occasionally go over to the male, lay her head on floor while he sniffs her but then she runs away! There have been no fights as of yet 🤞🏻

With regards to the humping does the female have to accept it for them to bond or will he just give up after a while? Haha

Thanks in advance

How long have you been bonding them? To me it sounds perfectly normal - the humping should calm down. Don't worry that something is wrong as this could be transferred to your buns unnecessarily.

Hi

It's only been a few hours 🙈 just so unsure what to expect, I kind of expected fighting right off the bat so nothing happening is putting me on edge haha. As long as it all sounds good I'll crack on. I'm hoping to keep them together until the bond is solidified and just break up and fights if they happen. Fingers crossed they stay pretty relaxed.

Thanks for the advice x

Ignoring is normal, as Tonibun says. Humping and fur pulling is also to be expected, the main things to watch out for is circling that can lead to fighting, and head humping.

He does try to hump her head and she's laid there for a few seconds then runs away and he just sits there looking disappointed ha. Should I split them immediately if there is head humping?

He does try to hump her head and she's laid there for a few seconds then runs away and he just sits there looking disappointed ha. Should I split them immediately if there is head humping?

I would stop them from doing it, as they can inflict nasty bites on their genitals, but I wouldn’t stop the bonding.

Perfect thank you! All going well so far theyre snuggling and grooming each other and bumble has stopped trying to hump so much. Keeping everything crossed that they don't turn on each other at any point over the next couple of days!

They really seem happy together, it's making me so happy watching them lay together so relaxed! All feels too good to be true so time will tell haha x

Back