• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

started bonding today and r nervous!!! advise wanted please

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi i started the bonding process today with two of my buns bracken whos the doe (unspayed) and dami neutered buck. i am quite nervous and want to know what to look for.

i put them in my shower room and she chased the buck and was mounting him! he did not seem keen about this and went and coward in the courner, but she perciseded and was tapping her foot i think because he wasnt particaipating maybe!!!. then she laid on her side in front of him shaking (not sure if she was exhausted or stressed!) and he did not move, and when he finally did she started mounting him again at this point he started putting him nose where its really not wanted and then i started to worry just in case he gave her a nasty bite. so put end to the session. i will try again tommorrow but want to know if i am in the right direction or what to look for.

please advise
thanks

Yep, your heading in the right direction. You should find she'll gradually get bored of mounting him and he will gradually get more brave and stop cowing in the corner. At first she'll pounce on him when he leave the corners/moves but this will gradually decrease.

You did right to split them up when you did, its better to keep the sessions shortish to start with so they don't get to annoyed with each other.

Repeat the same thing tomorrow and over the next few days you should se gradualy improvement and if all goes well they'll soon be good friends.

Tam

hi thanks tamsin, as i said i am just a little nervous as he suprised her once, when he first got here and she laid into him and bit his neck!!!!! no damage done!!!

but was wondering what behavior to watch for both positive and negiative if i know what to watch for maybe i wont be so tense hence they wont be perhaps.

also she laid in front of him shaking whatcould of that been?

thanks for any advice

xxxx

Not sure about the shaking but things seem to be going well so far!!! will you be getting her spayed or is she still too young?
Basil puts his nose where it shouldnt go too! must be a male thing :lol:
keep up the good work and as tamsin said soon they should be good friends :)

NO SHE NOT TO YOUNG AND I AM GOING TO SOUND REALLY CHEAP HERE, BUT I MOST DEFINITLY ARE NOT!!!!

BUT WITH NINE BUNNIES TO GET CASTRATED ITS COSING A FAIR FEW QUID THATS WITHOUT VACINATIONS!!! SO THE VET ARRANGED WITH THAT IF I BRING THEM IN ALLTOGETHER HE WILL GIVE ME 10% DISCOUNT, WHICH IS ACTUALLY NOT ALOT WHEN YOU THINK IS GOING TO COST ME NEARLY £800 TO GET THIS LOT ALL DONE AND VAC. SO I AM JUST WAITING FOR THE BABIES TO BE OLD ENOUGH AND WILL GET HER DONE AT THE SAME TIME.

I HAVE ALREADY HAD MY ADULT BUCKS DONE!!! BUT VERY NERVOUS ABOUT MY GIRL AS IT IS A BIGGER OP FOR HER :(

Re: started bonding today and r nervous!!! advise wanted ple

bunnylove said:
hi i started the bonding process today with two of my buns bracken whos the doe (unspayed) and dami neutered buck. i am quite nervous and want to know what to look for.

i put them in my shower room and she chased the buck and was mounting him! he did not seem keen about this and went and coward in the courner, but she perciseded and was tapping her foot i think because he wasnt particaipating maybe!!!. then she laid on her side in front of him shaking (not sure if she was exhausted or stressed!) and he did not move, and when he finally did she started mounting him again at this point he started putting him nose where its really not wanted and then i started to worry just in case he gave her a nasty bite. so put end to the session. i will try again tommorrow but want to know if i am in the right direction or what to look for.

please advise
thanks

update day 2.....

pretty much the same as yesterday, he still cowers in the corner and she is still mounting and banging her foot, but did stop a couple of times to give him a lick..... what is the banging the foot about, shaking about and why does he not come out of the courner?

also when should i try them in a run, there is no neutral territory in the garden? and if i do manage to get them bonded whos hutch should they live in?

i wish i knew about rabbit pyshcology!!

thanks

Re: started bonding today and r nervous!!! advise wanted ple

bunnylove said:
update day 2.....

also when should i try them in a run, there is no neutral territory in the garden? and if i do manage to get them bonded whos hutch should they live in?

i wish i knew about rabbit pyshcology!!

thanks

Is it possible for you to put them in the the other one's hutch overnight for a couple of sessions? I did that with Totti and Brody so that when I did put them together they were confused as to whose territory it was.

do you mean put them both in the others ones hutch? when in the bonding process should i do that?

thanks

Zeus stamped his back legs alot when he first met a few rabbit girls. This is usually the way a rabbit signals danger. In my case it was because Zeus had just never seen another rabbit since he was 12 weeks old and was pretty scared - until he got a wiff of their hormones or something and then it was bonking all the way after that even though he was done :roll: !

Caz

i just dont get it caz, its like a game of tease. he sits in the courner and does not move, she mounts him and when he back up to a wall so she cant mount him she stamps her foot, lays next to him for a bit and gives him a clean, but the minute he moves a cm shes up and charging at him and trying to mount him again, and stamping that big foot so now again hes scared to move, feels like we are going round in circles. :shock:

this is the third day now and nothings changed

will he ever come out of the corner, will she stop mounting him?

Don't worry its actually going well :)

Its sort of like this:

He sits head down in corner = Your the boss, I'm not going to challenge you
She humps = I'm the boss, I'm the boss, you will do exactly what I say
She lies next to him & gives him a lick = I'm worn out now, Hey, you kinda cute, wanna be my boyfriend
He moves = I'm getting a little braver
She humps him = I'm the boss, I'm the boss, who said you could move, are you challenging my authority?
He sits head down in corner = Your the boss, I'm not going to challenge you

Gradually, as she falls for his charms she'll hump him less when he moves and he'll start to move more. It does take time and the amount varies between rabbits. Don't give up though.

Tam

thanks tam in need to know i am doing the right thing, should i try the session somewhere else like the garden or stick with my smallish shower room.... and if they ever do get it together "little tease" :lol: whos hutch would they live in (hers is a double)

thanks for your help tamsin, i do really apreciate it

eve x

I'd stick with the session where it is. If you move elsewhere its like starting back at the beginning as there is a whole new space to discuss rulership over ;)

Generally its best to put the girl in the boys hutch as girls tend to be more territorial of their hutch, but if her hutch is more spacious then that probably the best choice. Wait until they are all cuddly before putting in together in the hutch though.

Tam

Someone here was trying to bond their bunny Blueberry with a new male and had exactly the same problem, he seemed too scared to move in the beginning. They are all loved up now I think and it didn't seem to take too long. It is when the male tries to be the boss it takes forever.

I would put them in the bigger hutch too - just clean it out thoroughly first and put a bit of both of their's used bedding back in - so his smell is present in the hutch too.

Caz

P.S. Tamsin love that translation!!

i do hope it doesnt take forever i am running out of rabbit runs and need them to start sharing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back