• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me to come up with a plan for bonding!

OliveTree

Warren Scout
Sorry for the radio silence :oops: I’m hoping that we’ll be able to collect a wifebun for Benji very soon. Would anyone be willing please to help me think about what I’ll need, and maybe even suggest a plan for the first few days?

I know we need a neutral area, so I’m thinking of using our ‘home office’ because it can be left unheated (they’ll be moving outside afterwards) and it’s a quiet space that doesn’t otherwise get used on a daily basis. I’m thinking of getting a run like this one https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...42bbb&istItemId=itxmxxmtl&istBid=t&size=large Does it look a sensible size? I’m not sure what needs to go in it - it looks like it’s good to avoid tunnels and hides so they don’t come across each other unexpectedly. Does that sound right? What could I give them to keep warm in overnight? Also, things like litter trays and water bowls - can I use what I’ve got, thoroughly cleaned, or so I need to get new ones?

Sorry for the radio silence :oops: I’m hoping that we’ll be able to collect a wifebun for Benji very soon. Would anyone be willing please to help me think about what I’ll need, and maybe even suggest a plan for the first few days?

I know we need a neutral area, so I’m thinking of using our ‘home office’ because it can be left unheated (they’ll be moving outside afterwards) and it’s a quiet space that doesn’t otherwise get used on a daily basis. I’m thinking of getting a run like this one https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...42bbb&istItemId=itxmxxmtl&istBid=t&size=large Does it look a sensible size? I’m not sure what needs to go in it - it looks like it’s good to avoid tunnels and hides so they don’t come across each other unexpectedly. Does that sound right? What could I give them to keep warm in overnight? Also, things like litter trays and water bowls - can I use what I’ve got, thoroughly cleaned, or so I need to get new ones?

Exciting :)

Yes, I think the larger option run would be OK. You want it large enough so that the female can run away if she wants to, but small enough to encourage some interaction. Personally I wouldn't put anything in it, apart from perhaps a cleaned water bowl and I would distract them with some food (pellets, veg or forage) thrown on the floor in a central spot to encourage them to feed together. Yes, certainly no hides or anything in fact that either one of them could lay claim to. Some people do have a litter tray, but I wouldn't. You'll obviously need to protect the flooring. I would give them nothing to keep them warm overnight, as you will be putting them outside when bonded.

Have you seen a possible wifebun?

Thank you! That’s all really helpful. So, it sounds like I won’t need much besides a water bowl then - and something to protect the floor with!

I haven’t seen as in met the possible wifebun, but I’ve been in touch with a rescue and seen a photo. I don’t know much about her yet! But with this new lockdown almost upon us, I want to be as organised as possible and make sure I’ve got what I need.

Thank you! That’s all really helpful. So, it sounds like I won’t need much besides a water bowl then - and something to protect the floor with!

I haven’t seen as in met the possible wifebun, but I’ve been in touch with a rescue and seen a photo. I don’t know much about her yet! But with this new lockdown almost upon us, I want to be as organised as possible and make sure I’ve got what I need.

Yes, that's all that I would go with. Other people include a litter tray, but I think you then have the danger that one sits in it and the other is then too scared to use it.

Good luck with the girlie :)

I agree with Omi. I would keep it as minimal as possible so they neither will get a chance to get territorial over objects.

Good luck with the bonding when the time comes.

Thank you! I’m sure I will be back for more advice when the time comes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you got somewhere to put the new bunny when you bring her home? You will probably want her to settle in for a week or so before bonding. I always put one or two litter trays in when bonding, it doesn't seem to make any difference, and it keeps the floor less messy if they use them. They won't be in the bonding area long enough to become territorial over it. Instead of the run, do you have a small room you can use instead? Is your boy inside or out?

Have you got somewhere to put the new bunny when you bring her home? You will probably want her to settle in for a week or so before bonding. I always put one or two litter trays in when bonding, it doesn't seem to make any difference, and it keeps the floor less messy if they use them. They won't be in the bonding area long enough to become territorial over it. Instead of the run, do you have a small room you can use instead? Is your boy inside or out?

Hmm, I don’t have many options for where she can be, unfortunately. I was just going to have her in the pen as it’s for a short time (though I hadn’t realised it would need to be as long as a week). If that’s not going to work then I will need to rethink! Boy bunny is outside (playhouse/aviary set up) and so my plan was to have them in the pen indoors (in an unheated room) until they’re ready to move out there.

Hmm, I don’t have many options for where she can be, unfortunately. I was just going to have her in the pen as it’s for a short time (though I hadn’t realised it would need to be as long as a week). If that’s not going to work then I will need to rethink! Boy bunny is outside (playhouse/aviary set up) and so my plan was to have them in the pen indoors (in an unheated room) until they’re ready to move out there.

Tui was here less than a day, before I bonded her with Tethra. I think a lot will depend on how she seems when you've got her home, in particular whether she seems relaxed.

Tui was here less than a day, before I bonded her with Tethra. I think a lot will depend on how she seems when you've got her home, in particular whether she seems relaxed.

Ok, thank you. I will have to see how she gets on then! Hopefully it will all go fairly smoothly....

So, when she gets here I will try to settle her in, then once she seems relaxed I can introduce them? And then keep them together as long as they are not showing aggression, but separate if it looks as if they are going to start fighting? One benefit of lockdown will be that I will be home the whole time!

Back