• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New addition

Good point! Need to work on my patience haha

Athena is 9weeks now and apparently have been vaccinated already. Zeus has been neutered about 6 weeks now.

Think I'm going to phone my vet on Monday to see about getting Athena in for a checkup before even considering starting bonding.

Apparently as well because Athena is so young I don't have to wait to spay her before bonding, but I want to double check that with my vet. I trust the boarder but would feel way more relaxed if I get the same advice from my vet :)

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

This is what I did and it worked extremely well here. Tui was about 12 weeks when I bonded her with Tethra. She had her spay several weeks afterwards.

Personally, I wouldn't start off with swapping things, I would keep them apart until everything is ready for bonding. That's not what everyone would do though :) People tend to go with a method which has worked for them. As Athena is pre-pubertal, I think the rationale is that she is not seen as so much of a threat to a male.

You should have a vaccination card for Athena, completed by the vet who vaccinated her. She should also have had a health check then.

Thanks tonibun :)

Omi & tonibun - sadly didn't get a vaccination card for her, which does make me a bit suspicious and why I want to get her to my vets. But giving the boarder the benefit of the doubt as she works with rescues, but rather just be 100% sure.

Glad to hear I don't have to wait to get her spayed :D omi you make a good point of not starting swapping until everything is ready, probably better to only start when I'm ready to properly start :D

It's a shame about the vaccination card because, as tonibun says, you will need to know what vaccinations she's had, although I'm not sure whether the individual vaccinations are still available. Your vet will not be able to tell if she's been vaccinated. If you can find out from the boarder which vet gave her the vaccinations, they should be able to get her notes transferred to your vets.

Btw I probably wasn't very clear in my previous post. I didn't swap at all, I just introduced them in a neutral space and kept them together, whilst monitoring them very closely obviously :)

It's a shame about the vaccination card because, as tonibun says, you will need to know what vaccinations she's had, although I'm not sure whether the individual vaccinations are still available. Your vet will not be able to tell if she's been vaccinated. If you can find out from the boarder which vet gave her the vaccinations, they should be able to get her notes transferred to your vets.

Btw I probably wasn't very clear in my previous post. I didn't swap at all, I just introduced them in a neutral space and kept them together, whilst monitoring them very closely obviously :)
Good idea! I'll give her a call tomorrow to see about getting the vets name :)

Oh wow! No swapping stuff :O I might pick your brain when I'm ready to start bonding them :D

So Zeus has left 1 or 3 poops by the door, but still laying by it.

I've been swapping between sitting near Athena and petting her and then sitting with Zeus and petting him. It's hilarious though because I've ended up just crawling back and forth through the door because getting up from the floor started murdering my knees [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

After a session of petting Athena and crawling back to Zeus and starting to pet him he booped my hand to stop and started sniffing it intently, then licked it quite a bit and zoomed off with head flops and 2 binkies [emoji16][emoji16]
Not yet had any licks from Athena but she's started coming to me when I open the cage and plonking her little feet on my hand [emoji173]

Aww what a lovely girl!

I agree on keeping seperate until vets and neutering etc.

We have a rota for pets and free roamingish for Rodney and Blossom while they're still living separately.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Aww what a lovely girl!

We have a rota for pets and free roamingish for Rodney and Blossom while they're still living separately.

Can I let her free roam in Zeus's territory? [emoji15] only my bathroom and hallway doesn't smell of him and it's not a big area, the cage basically takes up 3/4 of the hallway

Aww what a lovely girl!

And thank you!! :D :D

We have a secure area which they have turns in while the other is safe in their home.

There is much chinning and territorial pooping in it but they seem absolutely fine doing that.

We have a secure area which they have turns in while the other is safe in their home.

There is much chinning and territorial pooping in it but they seem absolutely fine doing that.

Ah yea sadly can't do that atm :s I have to figure out how to give her more space without upsetting Zeus. He goes mental if I try block him from the bedroom [emoji15]

We have them both in the dining room next to each other since Bloss was settled and checked etc.

Then they take turns in our hall and lounge while the dining room is blocked off with cardboard and a 4ft cage barrier as Bloss is very springy [emoji1787]

Zeus will be seeing it all as his area and you probably want to reserve your bathroom as neutral for bonding.

Could you pop him in his cage for a bit and close the door of the room he's in or block it off so she can exercise in the rest?

We have them both in the dining room next to each other since Bloss was settled and checked etc.

Then they take turns in our hall and lounge while the dining room is blocked off with cardboard and a 4ft cage barrier as Bloss is very springy [emoji1787]

Zeus will be seeing it all as his area and you probably want to reserve your bathroom as neutral for bonding.

Could you pop him in his cage for a bit and close the door of the room he's in or block it off so she can exercise in the rest?

Ah that sounds like a good setup :D

Sadly the last time I tried to close him in his pen he nonstop smashed against the sides until they came loose [emoji15] the little **** even figured how to bite the cableties that was meant to keep it closed. Saying he *hates* being caged/penned is a massive understatement :s
Between my living room/kitchen and bedroom there isn't a door, just an empty doorframe arch. Last time I tried blocking that so he can't go in the bedroom he ended up chewing at the wall to try break through and this was even with me in the livingroom with him [emoji15]
I think I've spoiled him too much with his freeroam [emoji1787][emoji1787]

I'm discussing with my friend that lives in the same building as me if I can use her place for a few hours a day to let Athena run around, we're just working out which room is the bunny friendliest. Think that's the best solution I can do at the moment with bratty Zeus [emoji39]

That's a great solution!

We too have had wall chewing when we decided Primrose could no longer free roam on the stairs as the carpet was being munched away...

The only solution is to cover with cardboard and caging until they forget about it [emoji1787]

Rodney too hates a cage even his massive one. He makes a point of waiting by the door when he knows it's his turn.

He also often sleeps by the open door with his bum firmly wedged so we can't close it.

I can't wait til we can get back to free roaming downstairs but we're waiting for them to forget their fight first. Hopefully they'll be ready to be friends by xmas.

That's a great solution!

We too have had wall chewing when we decided Primrose could no longer free roam on the stairs as the carpet was being munched away...

The only solution is to cover with cardboard and caging until they forget about it [emoji1787]

Rodney too hates a cage even his massive one. He makes a point of waiting by the door when he knows it's his turn.

He also often sleeps by the open door with his bum firmly wedged so we can't close it.

I can't wait til we can get back to free roaming downstairs but we're waiting for them to forget their fight first. Hopefully they'll be ready to be friends by xmas.

Hahaha Rodney sounds like a character [emoji1787][emoji1787]

It really amazes me how smart they are and their unique personalities [emoji173]

Yea I'm impatient just to have them both fully freeroamed but know I can't rush it.

Aww hope yours forget and become happy bonded bunnies soon :D

Should I be cleaning or leaving Zeus's little territorial poops by the door? Not sure which is best for him because he keeps laying on it as well [emoji15]

I tend to clean less often to leave some scent and also they seem to just redo them all anyways.

However any pees are cleaned up straight away.

I tend to clean less often to leave some scent and also they seem to just redo them all anyways.

However any pees are cleaned up straight away.

Ah good idea :D luckily there's been no pees :D but I have the cleaning stuff ready :D

Should I be limiting Athena's hay intake? She seems to be non stop eating and pooping [emoji1787] pretty sure she's eaten more than her body weight in hay already today [emoji15]

I've not had one so young but I doubt it lol

Primrose did nothing but eat when she arrived too [emoji16]

Back