• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to get a hutch from?

Alicia

Mama Doe
A shed isn’t an option at the moment. I have 2 sheds in the garden and neither of them are suitable for the rabbits. I don’t know how easy it would be to replace a shed and I can’t have them inside there isn’t enough space, so I’m looking at getting a large hutch (was hoping to find an 8ft one) that’s well made and I wanted to find a good cover for it too. I’ve looked on the hutch sticky but a lot of the businesses seem to have closed. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I know you can't have another shed, but do you have space for a playhouse with an attached run?

I could possibly have a shed if I got rid of one of my other sheds but I don’t know anything about sheds, how complicated is it to put a new shed up? I’ll try and get some photos later of the space I’m working with

If you already have a base for a shed, replacing it is easier. They demolish fairly easily, and you can get someone in to put up the new one - many suppliers offer the service, or fencing people will do it. If you go and have a nosey round places like B&Q, you can see the sheds on display and how they fit together, to give you an idea. The hardest bit is probably the roofing felt (much easier when it's warm and pliable).

I could possibly have a shed if I got rid of one of my other sheds but I don’t know anything about sheds, how complicated is it to put a new shed up? I’ll try and get some photos later of the space I’m working with

I wouldn't attempt to put one up myself - I would buy from a company who would deliver and erect. An odd job man would probably dismantle the old one - again I wouldn't attempt that myself. Try to buy a good shed from somewhere with decent reviews; I had one sourced, delivered and erected by someone I thought would be ok - it was horrendous and had to be taken down. The last thing you need is a cheap shed which leaks.

I wouldn't attempt to put one up myself - I would buy from a company who would deliver and erect. An odd job man would probably dismantle the old one - again I wouldn't attempt that myself. Try to buy a good shed from somewhere with decent reviews; I had one sourced, delivered and erected by someone I thought would be ok - it was horrendous and had to be taken down. The last thing you need is a cheap shed which leaks.

From someone who is by no means an expert in sheds or anything diy really, I think whether it leaks or not is a lot to do with how it is erected and maintained.

We bought a cheap online shed almost 9 years ago. OH (carefully) put it up and we 2/3 lined the inside walls with ply. We also gave the outside a good few coats of preservative. The roofing felt has had to be replaced, but other than that it has never failed and certainly has never leaked.

I agree with Babsie and don't think you should try to put it up yourself. It won't be easy to do the roof and so getting the supplier to deliver and erect is the way I'd go. I would also get a local tradesman to take the old one down.

I think that the cost difference between a shed and a reasonably-sized hutch wouldn't be that great and the convenience of a shed would sway me.

From someone who is by no means an expert in sheds or anything diy really, I think whether it leaks or not is a lot to do with how it is erected and maintained.

We bought a cheap online shed almost 9 years ago. OH (carefully) put it up and we 2/3 lined the inside walls with ply. We also gave the outside a good few coats of preservative. The roofing felt has had to be replaced, but other than that it has never failed and certainly has never leaked.

I agree with Babsie and don't think you should try to put it up yourself. It won't be easy to do the roof and so getting the supplier to deliver and erect is the way I'd go. I would also get a local tradesman to take the old one down.

I think that the cost difference between a shed and a reasonably-sized hutch wouldn't be that great and the convenience of a shed would sway me.

You are right! I think the shed would have been fine if it had been installed correctly. It was an absolute nightmare. Perhaps one day I will share the pictures.:lol:

I agree on the shed erecting front: done carefully, and with at least two people, it'll be alright. We've had some minor water ingress issues with constant wet but not along the floor etc., which is where the most damage was (it was VERY secondhand, quite dilapidated). We've had waaay more issues with our hutch(es) TBH.

It’s difficult because the shed the rabbits were living in is very sturdy and is huge, taking that down would be a really big job. I have a smaller shed which is the one I was thinking of taking down and replacing but my fence is quite badly broken and the shed is sort of holding it all together at this point :oops: I was planning to get the fence redone but cost wise it’s going to be a bit tricky to do everything all together. They’re safe inside for now and it’s not ideal but it will at least give me some time to think.

I was also considering some kind of walk in run with a hutch inside it as shelter

Back