Thread: Excess cecotropes

Default Excess cecotropes

Hi,

I know the subject of excess cecotropes has been covered before, but Iíd be grateful for any help as Iím having an issue with my bunnies. I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old (who is moulting) and have found mediumish cecotrope stains, alongside a few crushed in our rug each morning. This started around a month or 2 ago. They have access to unlimited hay, get readigrass twice a day, get some fresh herbs in the morning (parsley, coriander, dill etc), and in the evening 1tbsp of pellets and half a fibrefirst stick. I recently cut the pellets down to half a tbsp but havenít seen any difference.

I think, but canít be sure, that my younger bunny is causing the excess cecotropes. Iím considering weighing them and giving them a hay only for 2 weeks, and reintroducing foods slowly,- but am concerned this might not be good for my older bun. So any advice would be appreciated.

I should say theyíve both been checked by the vet and are healthy.

Thanks
    Last edited by Zigzag; 30-10-2020 at 10:47 AM.

IME too much Readigrass can cause excess cecals for some Rabbits. Readigrass has a high protein content. Personally I would not cut out everything but hay for the 10 year old Bun. especially as you are not certain who is producing excess cecals.

I used to be ĎJackís-Janeí but I have been logged out of that account and I canít get back in !

Apologies if my posts read as being blunt. Failing eyesight makes it hard to type out long messages.

Thanks Jane, apart from cutting down/out the readigrass is there anything else youíd suggest cutting down on?

And I understand your point about my 10 year old.