• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess cecotropes

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi,

I know the subject of excess cecotropes has been covered before, but I’d be grateful for any help as I’m having an issue with my bunnies. I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old (who is moulting) and have found mediumish cecotrope stains, alongside a few crushed in our rug each morning. This started around a month or 2 ago. They have access to unlimited hay, get readigrass twice a day, get some fresh herbs in the morning (parsley, coriander, dill etc), and in the evening 1tbsp of pellets and half a fibrefirst stick. I recently cut the pellets down to half a tbsp but haven’t seen any difference.

I think, but can’t be sure, that my younger bunny is causing the excess cecotropes. I’m considering weighing them and giving them a hay only for 2 weeks, and reintroducing foods slowly,- but am concerned this might not be good for my older bun. So any advice would be appreciated.

I should say they’ve both been checked by the vet and are healthy.

Thanks

Last edited:
IME too much Readigrass can cause excess cecals for some Rabbits. Readigrass has a high protein content. Personally I would not cut out everything but hay for the 10 year old Bun. especially as you are not certain who is producing excess cecals.

Thanks Jane, apart from cutting down/out the readigrass is there anything else you’d suggest cutting down on?

And I understand your point about my 10 year old.

Cut out the readigrass, we've also found that some rabbits produce excess cecotrophes on certain brands of pellets.

Medication can also change teh taste and make rabbits less likley to eat them. If you're still having issues I'd recommend that your vet check a poo sample for worms and coccidiosis

In case it makes a difference, I give my 11.5 year old unlimited fibre sticks and she just munches at will. The vet was happy with this as it's lots and lots of fibre!

Back