• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxy concerns

Bhavani

Young Bun
Hi all,

I had noted some time back in a different thread about coming across a fox poo in our garden, near where Cream's shed, run and lawn play area are. Well, over the last week, the fox has been making regular nightly visits :evil: It is a cub - I initially thought it was a cat due to the small size, and he seemed to be chasing hedgehogs we are fortunate enough to see occasionally. I chased him vigorously. He has been coming back every night, but Cream is in a secure shed+run, and so there is no easy way in for him. Since then, I have a) started sprinkling 'get off' gel around the area, b) put in a ultasonic beeping device, c) set up a motion-activated sprinkler, and d) installed a small garden cam that sends alerts upon detecting movement. Just thought I'd report that the sprinkler has been very helpful - twice now we've seen the fox cub made to run with the sprinkler coming on. The cam is also very helpful, although I find myself looking at the live feed obsessively!

As for Cream, she seems completely unconcerned, although she must have surely smelt or seen the fox.

So we are in a sort of stand-off now, but I am concerned about the fox getting lucky at some point. Making cream a house bunny is challenging for us, and so our strategy revolves around making the outdoor as secure as possible. Any thoughts welcome!

Bhavani

Hi all,

I had noted some time back in a different thread about coming across a fox poo in our garden, near where Cream's shed, run and lawn play area are. Well, over the last week, the fox has been making regular nightly visits :evil: It is a cub - I initially thought it was a cat due to the small size, and he seemed to be chasing hedgehogs we are fortunate enough to see occasionally. I chased him vigorously. He has been coming back every night, but Cream is in a secure shed+run, and so there is no easy way in for him. Since then, I have a) started sprinkling 'get off' gel around the area, b) put in a ultasonic beeping device, c) set up a motion-activated sprinkler, and d) installed a small garden cam that sends alerts upon detecting movement. Just thought I'd report that the sprinkler has been very helpful - twice now we've seen the fox cub made to run with the sprinkler coming on. The cam is also very helpful, although I find myself looking at the live feed obsessively!

As for Cream, she seems completely unconcerned, although she must have surely smelt or seen the fox.

So we are in a sort of stand-off now, but I am concerned about the fox getting lucky at some point. Making cream a house bunny is challenging for us, and so our strategy revolves around making the outdoor as secure as possible. Any thoughts welcome!

Bhavani

Whilst we know from experience here that a fox will enter a garden and attack during daylight, I'm far more nervous at night when we are asleep. Our bunnies are outside in a secure shed with a (probably) secure run, but I'm afraid that I'm far too nervous at night and lock them up in the shed. I know this restricts their enrichment, but for me it's a balance and I would prefer to know they are not visible to a fox (or anything else, we have had mink in the garden). My concern is not only whether a predator can attack and kill the bunnies, it's the fact that attempts could stress them to the point that they would die of heart failure.

A hungry fox will take chances :(

Thanks Omi. Good point. Perhaps I should think about locking Cream in at night. She normally sleeps in the shed, but has been known to emerge into the run via the catflap in the middle of the night when she gets bored. So whilst it won't be fun for anyone to have her locked in, it may be best in the interests of safety, not least because Cream seems pretty fearless when there is good reason for her to be fearful.

When do you unlock your buns - early or later in the morning?

Thanks Omi. Good point. Perhaps I should think about locking Cream in at night. She normally sleeps in the shed, but has been known to emerge into the run via the catflap in the middle of the night when she gets bored. So whilst it won't be fun for anyone to have her locked in, it may be best in the interests of safety, not least because Cream seems pretty fearless when there is good reason for her to be fearful.

When do you unlock your buns - early or later in the morning?

At this time of the year It's the first thing I do when I get up, so anytime between 6 and 7am.

Back