Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbit Garden

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Like HouseOfRabbit, I've successfully rooted in water and then potted on middles of celery, savoy-type cabbages and, especially, spring greens.
    Spring greens? Oh, I'll have to try that. Getting the Celery to grow was fun so a new experiment would be good

I've heard I might be able to do that with romaine.

I might have to swing by the garden centre and see if theres anything I can overwinter in frost proof pots ti get established next year.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Alpha Buck

If it's a relatively smaller space then I would go for a herb bed - good value for small amounts, all respond well to being trimmed regularly and grow vigorously, and managed carefully will supply you all year unlike a lot of other stuff.
    My other recommendation would be a vigourous rambling rose - they can eat all parts of it, and the twigs are great for chewing and shredding, and again can be harvested regularly with a long growing season (I'm still harvesting branches and flowers from mine) and it just makes the plant grow more.

Forum Buddy

We grow tomatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, mint, both types of parsley, rainbow chard, curly kale, runner beans, broad beans, pansies, sunflowers, roses, hawthorn, brambles, raspberry
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    If it's a relatively smaller space then I would go for a herb bed - good value for small amounts, all respond well to being trimmed regularly and grow vigorously, and managed carefully will supply you all year unlike a lot of other stuff.
    My other recommendation would be a vigourous rambling rose - they can eat all parts of it, and the twigs are great for chewing and shredding, and again can be harvested regularly with a long growing season (I'm still harvesting branches and flowers from mine) and it just makes the plant grow more.
    I've got a very young Rambling Rosie who is pesticide free, would that do the job?

I've been considering a Kew Gardens one as well but am trying to get used to caring for roses. I'm upset I've had to spray my first bed of them due to aphids so they can't be munched on

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    I've got a very young Rambling Rosie who is pesticide free, would that do the job?

I've been considering a Kew Gardens one as well but am trying to get used to caring for roses. I'm upset I've had to spray my first bed of them due to aphids so they can't be munched on

It would, but make sure the first year or two that you don't knock it back too much, it needs to develop good roots and strong growth to be able to be used regularly. Worth the wait though if it's anything like mine!! And it's worth allowing some of the longer branches to grow before cutting, not just trimming little bits, cos my guys adore chopping the branches into 3" pieceswith their teeth and nibbling away at it.