• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wires

ChrisL

Young Bun
Rosemary has taken a fancy to wires! the other night her and basil were in the kitchen whilst we went out for a short time, when we returned she had bitten through the fridge electrical wire!!!! and it was the live wire at that!! we moved the fridge out and also found that she had gone through the freezer wire too!
Everything is now fine, but rosemary has not left any wire alone since, she didnt realy do this before but it needs to be sorted!
Does any one know any solutions? can i get toys which look like wires? Any ideas would be great!

Could you feed any accessible wires through reinforced hose pipe so that she cannot access the wires themselves.
Sounds like she has had a lucky escape.

The only real solution is to keep her away from the wires. You can try running any wires through conduit to keep them out of the way, or running through a good thick hose pipe. But Cassidy could still get through hose pipe. She also got through steel shower hose. So all our cable protectors did was give us a bit more time to get her away from the wires before she did any damage. When it comes to things like phone wires, they can get through them in one bite. Hide them as best as you can, and then keep her away from them as much as you can.

The only thing that our lot couldn't get through was some braided cable wrap. The stuff we have is actually Kevlar, but I reckon the heavyweight nylon stuff would do. It's unpleasant to handle for some reason - it's both smooth and rough to touch, it's very tough and I think the rabbits don't like how it feels in their mouths because they left it practically untouched.

As Bertie said, Cassidy even chewed through a steel shower hose to get at the tasty, tasty cables inside. Copper piping would probably stop her, but it's not nice to work with, especially if you have corners to get around!

in ikea you can buy split wire loom packs sold as computer cable tidys and there are only 2 pounds or something. They come with cable ties and are black, white and grey. I cover my wires with them and they work!

in ikea you can buy split wire loom packs sold as computer cable tidys and there are only 2 pounds or something. They come with cable ties and are black, white and grey. I cover my wires with them and they work!

Thanks for the tips, all the wires are hidden and out of reach especially the ones in the kitchen but she still got to them :roll:
we currently just keep saying "no" to when she goes near them and pick her up if she gets too close.
She was a very lucky bunny that evening!
Its not my house, lianne my fiancee, is basils mum, and her sis is rosemarys mum, so i dont think hose pipes are possible but are a very good idea though! will remember that for my house! :lol:

Roger has eaten his way through a few wires, every time we think we have bunny proofed he manages to find another one. His last victim was the hoover. :(

Jessica has never chewed wires, but she's a girl so has more sense :D

Betty

Wires are an EXTREME danger to rabbits, the cause of MANY fatalities. Simply hiding wires is not sufficient for proofing, you really need to put them inside a pipe, or cover them with that resistant tape, or a cable-tidy box, like the ones that Ikea sell. Seriously, bunny proof the wires, or a rabbit will die!

Mine chewed through phoneline and had the odd nibble at a few wires.
I got some wire tidys.. they are in woolworths etc.. JML stuff. Now he cant really get to any.
Hope you get yours bunny proofed.

Back