• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oxbow Supplements

scatter

Alpha Buck
Hi

I currently give my 11 year old house rabbit the Oxbow digestive support supplement (as she’s always been prone to stasis). I am now thinking of giving her the joint support one too as I think she may have a touch of arthritis (vet doesn’t think it needs medicating and is just down to wanting to lie in a comfortable position because of old age/very mild joint issues). I’m just thinking this might help a little bit. She runs around fine otherwise when she’s not sleeping 😂 x

I give them to my elderly arthritic bun in the hope it helps but its honestly difficult for me to judge.My bun is on metacam too I think I'd prob be better giving them to my more sprightly bunnies as glucosamine is prob better as preventative than cure. I don't reckon it'd hurt to try them out

My arthritic rabbit has the joint ones alongside his medication. As J&B says I can't be truly sure if they help but I give them anyway!

I give them to Illy, but I do need to give half in the morning and half in the evening, otherwise she gets an upset stomach. Chinook was never interested in them and was miffed it wasn't a fenugreek!

I did notice a difference after a couple of weeks of Illy having them, but I wouldn't advise them as a replacement for pain relief.

Back