• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Dolly got widowed after 3 weeks so I arranged to get her a 9 week old male friend hoping they could have a lovely long life together once bonded. When I went to pick him up he was sitting snuggled with his sister and the lady was going to separate them, I did the most stupidest but kindest thing and took them both. So I now have 3 bunnies. Is there ever going to be any kind of bond.. Currently 2 babies are in a cage in the shed, they are tiny and will probably stay there until they are neutered, dolly has the run of the shed she went over to sniff them , thumped her feet poop and pee all around the cage and went away grunting, not a happy bunny at all, she then came to me chinning me everywhere and nipping me, Since that first meeting on Sunday she pretends they are not there. I also have a hutch in the garden, our garden is a very secure smallish garden and my past bunnies have always had free range in and out the shed unless we go out, I could split the garden in half so the 2 bonded have the shed and run and dolly has the hutch and rest of garden but for all she seems extremely happy to be alone at the moment, im worried she will never like the babies and I wouldn't know where to start to bond them. I would willingly pay anyone who could do this for me in the near future but im in the north east. I would travel but not too far.
I would of made dolly a house bunny but mum has dementia and we have an indoor cat.
Does anyone know where I can take them to bond in the near future that isn't too far away from me. They will always be able to communicate in the garden through a run but will this be enough for them if bonding isn't an option.
Dolly is the most intellegent animal I have had, she knew Jimmy had died straight away and the doesnt forget anything.
Does anyone have a bonded pair and a loner who can communicate through a run and be happy.
Thank you yet again.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I would just give it more time. The babies are just that - they need to be a bit bigger and preferably neutered before you bond properly. The boy can be done fairly early, but the girl will have to be 6 months old.

If there is no referred aggression from Dolly, they will be fine separated as they are for a while. Thigs may change when the babies become adolescents and start to get hormonal - so just keep an eye on them all.

Are you sure the babies are a boy and girl?

Welcome to your two new bunnies :love:

Personally I think I would try to get all three bonded into a trio. However, I think how you do that and when will depend on how things progress with your new pair. There will probably be a greater chance of success for them if you wait until the new pair are neutered.

You will also need to consider how they are going to be housed before they are neutered. This needs to take into account whether you have in fact got one male and one female (mistakes are easily made in very young bunnies). If it is one of each, you will need to ensure that the female doesn't become pregnant before the male is neutered and you might need to separate them. If you have two of the same sex, you might also need to separate before they are old enough to be neutered if hormones kick in and they become aggressive with each other.

Personally I think I would try to get all three bonded into a trio. However, I think how you do that and when will depend on how things progress with your new pair. There will probably be a greater chance of success for them if you wait until the new pair are neutered.

You will also need to consider how they are going to be housed before they are neutered. This needs to take into account whether you have in fact got one male and one female (mistakes are easily made in very young bunnies). If it is one of each, you will need to ensure that the female doesn't become pregnant before the male is neutered and you might need to separate them. If you have two of the same sex, you might also need to separate before they are old enough to be neutered if hormones kick in and they become aggressive with each other.
The babies are getting vet checked on Tuesday so hopefully the vets will have a better idea of sex.I have got the housing situation sorted, I am putting dolly in the hutch and she can have the run of the garden and the 2 young ones in the shed with the run for now till they are all neutered and hormones settled.
I will never give up on bonding them, i just need guidance at the time and it doesn't matter how long it takes. If the 2 babies ever need separating then the cage in the shed is useful but I have faith it won't come to this as the little boy will be neutered asap and then the little girl asap afterwards.
Dolly prefers the garden, she prefers to be outside more than in the shed, she has a fav spot and she only goes inside at night when I put her to bed so the hutch will be fine for her. It's her being on her own that hurts me, but she honestly seems very very happy for now. My garden is not large, very enclosed and I'm home all day and night. It's mostly paving slabs with a patch of grass. Ideally I want them all in the shed with access to the garden apart from 6 hours overnight Locked in the shed. This is my goal. If I don't get there I will send them away for bonding. Scotland is the nearest,its expensive but I don't mind.
I know it's a long process and may take a year. They may even start to bond themselves through the run. Who knows. .
If anyone can offer me bonding advice further down the line that would be amazing.
Thank you again.

When can male bunnies be neutered if he is 10 weeks tomorrow x

When can male bunnies be neutered if he is 10 weeks tomorrow x

Usually from around 12 weeks, but you need to wait until his testicles drop and then your vet should be happy to neuter him.

Usually from around 12 weeks, but you need to wait until his testicles drop and then your vet should be happy to neuter him.
That's amazing thank you. Will the vets be able to sex them now at 10 weeks. Probably the stupidest question you have ever been asked X

That's amazing thank you. Will the vets be able to sex them now at 10 weeks. Probably the stupidest question you have ever been asked X

Your vet could certainly attempt to sex them now, but there's no absolute guarantee that it would be correct. However, if the testicles drop on one of your bunnies, it's an indication obviously that it's a male :)

No advice re bonding a trio unfortunately, but just be aware that the male may still be fertile for several weeks after neutering so you may need to separate him and the female anyway. I hope the bond goes well, I've only ever bonded two and that was pretty stressful!

Also I have found a lovely lady who has offered to help me with the bonding process of the trio when they are ready, she has never bonded a trio before so it's also a challenge for her, but she believes any rabbits can bond but she said it may take months and not to give up.
Ive realised Rome wasn't built in day and I am prepared to do all the right things for my bunny's to have a happy life together Even if it means temporary separations..

Last edited:
Your vet could certainly attempt to sex them now, but there's no absolute guarantee that it would be correct. However, if the testicles drop on one of your bunnies, it's an indication obviously that it's a male :)
Vet checked defo boy(no balls yet) and girl.
My vets say they don't neuter till 16 weeks and they can go together, so at what stage shall I separate them and is it alright to keep one in a cage and let one have the shed and maybe swap them over every day so they get exercise but not together yet they are still in the same room. I could use a metal run to separate but can he still get her pregnant through the bars.
It's only for 4 weeks and then they can both have the shed and eventually dolly can be bonded with them. I have found someone to help me with the bonding.
Rome wasn't built in a day and this could take months but I won't give up.

They are a boy and girl the vet confirmed, but they can't be neutered until 4 months old. Will I have to separate them and if I do will it be ok to leave one in a cage in the shed and let the other have the whole shed and then swap them each day so they both get exercise and both can always see each other. This will only go on for 4 weeks if I separate at 12 weeks old.
Or shall I keep one in the cage all the time and let the other have the bottom floor so they can see each other but not be near each other without losing there bond.i don't want to use the metal run in case he gets her through that or is that not possible They can both go together at 16 weeks to be neutered.
Thank you for all the help.

It's good to have the vet's confirmation of sex. I think I would go with the first of your two options, to have one in the cage in the shed and the other loose and then swap them round each day. You could plan on separating at 12 weeks, but you'll have to keep a very close eye on them both until then both for signs of aggression and/or mounting by the buck. To be on the safe side I think I would actually separate a bit earlier than that and do it in around a week's time. Once hormones kick in and they start to fight, it might not be as easy to re-bond afterwards. Is Dolly getting on OK in the hutch?

I would also start thinking about after they have had their neuters. Ideally they should come into the house for 24 hours after their anaesthetic, but if that's not possible you'll have to think how you can make the shed warm and cosy for them, as the temperature will be lower in 6 weeks time.

It's good to have the vet's confirmation of sex. I think I would go with the first of your two options, to have one in the cage in the shed and the other loose and then swap them round each day. You could plan on separating at 12 weeks, but you'll have to keep a very close eye on them both until then both for signs of aggression and/or mounting by the buck. To be on the safe side I think I would actually separate a bit earlier than that and do it in around a week's time. Once hormones kick in and they start to fight, it might not be as easy to re-bond afterwards. Is Dolly getting on OK in the hutch?

I would also start thinking about after they have had their neuters. Ideally they should come into the house for 24 hours after their anaesthetic, but if that's not possible you'll have to think how you can make the shed warm and cosy for them, as the temperature will be lower in 6 weeks time.
Yes I will do it In a weeks time to be safe. At the moment dolly is still in the shed and the babes are in the cage. She's pooing all around the cage but she's actually not bothering them at all. I was waiting till I moved the babies out the cage before I moved her. She's actually very happy on her own , she Binky's when she walks all the time. I thought it was a twitch [emoji1787].dolly is actually the happiest rabbit I have ever known.

The bunny's can both come inside for a while after the procedure, I did that everytime Jimmy had his dental and I'm used to syringing and caring for them. Jimmy and Norah taught me so much. The vet said to me "don't get lops they are always trouble" so what do I do get another 2.
I'm willing to do anything. I appreciate your advice and help so much.

Yes I will do it In a weeks time to be safe. At the moment dolly is still in the shed and the babes are in the cage. She's pooing all around the cage but she's actually not bothering them at all. I was waiting till I moved the babies out the cage before I moved her. She's actually very happy on her own , she Binky's when she walks all the time. I thought it was a twitch [emoji1787].dolly is actually the happiest rabbit I have ever known.

The bunny's can both come inside for a while after the procedure, I did that everytime Jimmy had his dental and I'm used to syringing and caring for them. Jimmy and Norah taught me so much. The vet said to me "don't get lops they are always trouble" so what do I do get another 2.
I'm willing to do anything. I appreciate your advice and help so much.

The lady who is going to help me bond them suggested while i was alternating the babies with one day cage one day shed to also include dolly. So Dolly would be hutch one day One day shed and one day cage. This will mean one day the babies are separated and dolly will be stuck in a little cage when she is used to having free roam and she Binky's when she walks, I'm concerned This is cruel to her, not to mention the babies being separated might be stressful. Am i being too empathic and should i close myself off for this to work. I want a good outcome but I fear this may make babies lose bond and make dolly unhappy.

At some point, they are going to meet up. It's worth considering a 3-way swap round. If it's not working, you can always stop, or find a different way to do it. Continued referred aggression is not a good sign, but it may not happen. I would wait until they have recovered from the neuters before trying it, though. The babies will be more vulnerable and Dolly may well sense their weakness and react against it, so it won't be a fair start to the bonding.

At some point, they are going to meet up. It's worth considering a 3-way swap round. If it's not working, you can always stop, or find a different way to do it. Continued referred aggression is not a good sign, but it may not happen. I would wait until they have recovered from the neuters before trying it, though. The babies will be more vulnerable and Dolly may well sense their weakness and react against it, so it won't be a fair start to the bonding.
Thank you. That seems much easier to deal with. Get all neuters and recovery over with and then start the bonding process.

So today Ive separated the babies as I'm worried Gary is starting to get frisky with ani. Balls not dropped on Thursday and only 10 weeks old but I want to be safe.
Im putting dolly's New awful hutch (I hate them) in the spare 6 by 4 shed as I just can't get away with hutches and I want her warm at night if she's alone in the colder months The bunny shed, I've decided one baby will have a cage and the other the whole shed and then i will keep swapping them every day until I can get them neutered. The only problem i have is the bunny that has the shed can access another 2 floors , I could block it off but it means very very limited space for them both and I worry it's cruel and Gary has decided he likes the top shelf so really hes not spending time next to ani. Will this affect the bond. I am swapping them around every day though and they will get neutered together and be in the house together for a few days till after surgery to recover.
I hate separating them, my little ani is timid and Gary is the opposite and into everything.
My garden is small and right now I have 2 sheds on either side and a hutch stuck in the middle. I'm waiting for help to sort it out, it's far too heavy for me to lift alone.

The sooner they are all bonded the better and then they can have 2 sheds and a hutch and the whole garden to share together.

Does it sound alright , I'm so worried one will suffer or I'm not doing the right thing by them .
I don't have any one to ask opinions on, as no-one knows anything about bunnies or what they need, my partner (doesnt live with me) still thought you picked rabbits up by the ears , it just shows how people who don't have bunnies still think the old fashioned way is correct.
Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Back